Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit price @ hobby lobby

Went to hobby lobby yesterday to check out what kits they might have, they redid the model area. They had a good amount of kits on hand like both of the revells 72 olds 442, 62 and 66 impala ss, copo novas. also on the shelfs were kits from mpc amt lingburg and of course revell. Sticker price $21.99 - $24.99 some for as little as $16.99. But the one kit that made my jaw hit the ground was the batmoible 1/25 glue kit with the sticker price on it for $31.99. our they kidding or what? I think $21.99 -$24.99 is a lot for a kit, when most of us used to get them for $5.00 -$8.00 a kit. Yes I know times have changed and things go up in price but $31.99 for this kit, come on. Its a glue kit just like the $16.99 - $24.99 kits, ( right )

joseph barbato

The GLue Batmobile has a bunch more stuff. Two complete motors and chassis and a huge photo etch. This size pfoto etch for planes or ship kits sell alone for $25+....so....no I don't like high prices....but the value in the glue kit is great....or settle for the snap kit.

I think the DC Comics licensin/royalties plays a role in the prices of those particular kits, too.

$25-$30 is about the cost for a modern Revell kit these days, and Round2 seems to be pushing the lower limits of the price range with their resissues, most of which contain fewer parts and are, well. not nearly as nice as a newer kit.

Michales is the same way correct? Even though the selection is no where near hobby lobby.

Now, if I can just figure out hobby town USA's problem with prices....

There is no mystery to their pricing, the are in business to make money. Hobby Lobby and Michaels offer coupons and us frugal modelers shop there and use them to make our hobby dollars go a little farther. They buy directly from the manufacturers so they can afford to give 40% off. Hobbytown USA is a franchise setup and are owned by small business owners who have to price their products to be profitable. While the old-time LHS that most of us grew up on could be located on a side street, the HTU and chain stores are on main street, in the high rent district. My local Hobbytown has competitive prices and has things like Evergreen styrene, Tamiya paint, and other detailing items that HL or Michaels does not. Unless an online company is offering free shipping, I can usually buy a kit at my Hobbytown for the same price as online when it is all said and done.

Yes they are open six days a week, the only way I will buy a kit from HL is if I use a coupon. But most the kits I buy HL does not sell, I buy more paint from HL, they are one of the few place's in town that carry the Model Master Lacquer line , all the LHS that are on my side of town dont.

Even with their coupon, your still paying then same if not more than you would buying online. You just need to do some research and watch for the best price. I just bought the HobbyBoss M1070/M1000 tank transporter kit for a total of 141.00. That included shipping! I have seen it being sold at hobby shops for 205.00 which is suggested retail.

Right now I'm waiting for Tower Hobbies to get the AMT Gremlin kits back in so I can pick up a couple of them for under 20.00 with no shipping as I am a member of their Super Saver club.

What everyone is missing here is that the vast majority of model car kits sold here in the US are made in China. It doesn't take deep reading in say, the Wall Street Journal, to understand that China is undergoing rapid inflation, as workers become a bit more scarce, forcing wages upward. In fact, any kit on the shelves today, will be higher in price when the next container load is placed on a ship in Hong Kong or Shanghai for the voyage eastward across the Pacific.

Art

Kit prices are going up. As Art stated above...plus, oil. Plastic is made from petroleum products. Ships need a lot of fuel to travel from China. Trucks need a lot of fuel to deliver models.

At our club meeting today, one member works at a store that sells kits. They normally discount their models. R2 and Trumpeter kits are now too expensive for them to justify shelf space and they will be on a special order basis only. They cannot buy direct and the suppliers are cutting their discount schedule more and more. So, get those $10 Lindberg kits while you can!!!!

not to throw religion into the mix but here is something ive allways wondered, i like that the hobby lobby operates on Christian principals, one of which is them honouring the western version of the sabath by not being open on sundays

but here is what i dont get...howcome i always get thier emailed advertisement on sundays?

Guest Johnny

not to throw religion into the mix but here is something ive allways wondered, i like that the hobby lobby operates on Christian principals, one of which is them honouring the western version of the sabath by not being open on sundays

but here is what i dont get...howcome i always get thier emailed advertisement on sundays?

Because the ad agency that handles the advertising is the one sending them out. Not the owner or the store.

Newbie to the forum but wanted to give a heads up on the Hobby Lobby Coupon.

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can use their online coupon at the store now instead of having to print it.

Just pull it up online while in line and show it to the cashier and viola! 40% off!!

FYI, there are 2 different glue Batmobiles. The one that hobby lobby is selling the regular glue kit. The one that comes with the photo-etch is the "Deluxe" version, and I have not seen that one at HL, yet.

The tip above out the mobile coupon is great, BTW, no more printing coupons.

Edited by Nate

Newbie to the forum but wanted to give a heads up on the Hobby Lobby Coupon.

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can use their online coupon at the store now instead of having to print it.

Just pull it up online while in line and show it to the cashier and viola! 40% off!!

Been doing that for awhile now