Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Shop

Mercman

Okay I cleaned the bench, but it didn't last long. Here are the mock up pics of the buildings. They are currently in the gluing jig.

This is what I used for the buildings. It's a hard canvas for oil painting.

misc008.jpg

misc009.jpg

misc011.jpg

misc010.jpg

This is the pic I am using for reference.

weldingshop.jpg

Edited by Mercman

mercman , great start ! Now show us more . Gives me something to look at besides muh own stuff......... I like the fact that you're working in the smaller scale . The building looks great and my eyes arent too good anymore . Thats why I stay in 1-25th scale. Ed Shaver

mercman , great start ! Now show us more . Gives me something to look at besides muh own stuff......... I like the fact that you're working in the smaller scale . The building looks great and my eyes arent too good anymore . Thats why I stay in 1-25th scale. Ed Shaver

ED more will be coming soon. I started on the door, and window frames, and some woood siding, and doors for the small garage.

What scale are you building it in, Merc???smile.gif

George this little build is 1/87th scale, HO. To answer your next ? no I don't have a train layout, I just got burned out on 1/25th. Also I used to dabble in this scale many years ago, but after seeing some of the smaller builds, I got back into it again. You cxan check out my builds, and in progress pics here.

http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/mercman51/HO%20buildings/

Also if you scroll down aways, you'll find Mr. Roger's Neighborhood build I just completed.

Edited by Mercman

Here are pics of the small garage.

Rear (sorry for the blurry pic).

misc009-1.jpg

Front and doors.

misc008-1.jpg

And the roof shingled.

misc010-1.jpg

The wood I got from Chester in the participants pack from the K&J Kruise. The shingles I found the paper in the scrap booking dept., and used a pinking shears to cut them. I know it shows cedar shake style shingles in the pic, but I prefer to think of it as artists creativity. The white areas will be painted a shade of gray, and the wood will get a wash of sorts to age it.

Comments welcome, also suggestions.

Mercman, I used to own a 50 Murcury with a genuine Mer- O- matic ! Mine was raven Black too. Great running car. I shouldn't have sold that one . I still run a 51 merc in my 53 Ford truck though . Ed Shaver

Ed I used to have a 51 Merc, until the ex filed for the big D. :)

I was doing the framing of the windows and the doors when I run out of stock. The hobby shop was closed, so had to wait till today. Well made the trip today to the LHS so got the framing of the doors and windows done. Here are a pic to show them with the doors just taped in temporarily. Also got the roof cut, and made the chimney's.

All of the doors were made from plastic sheet, and strip.

misc008-2.jpg

Except for a few washes to weather the shed, and to make hinges for the doors, this one is done.

misc009-2.jpg

misc010-2.jpg

misc011-2.jpg

Currently the roof is setting up, as I just glued it on, tomorrow it will go in the paint booth.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever have one of those days, I went to start on the models for this dio, and it was so hot and windy that the glue driend before I could get the pieces joined together. At least I got the fenders trimmed off on the one kit. After 3 attempts I gave up.

Ever have one of those days, I went to start on the models for this dio, and it was so hot and windy that the glue driend before I could get the pieces joined together. At least I got the fenders trimmed off on the one kit. After 3 attempts I gave up.

Jounior , round here , been 103, 105 , 102 104, 98, today bout 96.......... Ed Shaver

Well finally got the bodies glued together. On the left is the stock version, the right the modified one.

misc014.jpg

misc015.jpg

misc016.jpg

Here I'm playing with some wheel, and tire combo's.

misc017.jpg

Also got the base done.

misc013.jpg

Here is the underside with lots of room for electronics, and such. Dimensions are 16 long, by 13 wide.

misc012-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

That is some small work going on. Looking good! I would be blinder than I am now. Are these like matchbox size?

They are smaller. Matchbox is 1/64th, and I will be using 1/87th. The cars pictured are Tootsie Toy's. Except for the blue Merc which is 1/87th. Also the Orange(actually it's pink) sedan by the garage is a HW car.

Edited by Mercman

Well the first coat of ground cover is done. Here is the basic shape.

Misc001.jpg

Then I mixed up 1/2 batch of Cellu-clay, first time using this, and did this.

Misc004.jpg

Misc003-1.jpg

Will have to add something else to define the flat areas, and the road. The base will be painted using the Fleck Stone paint.

Well finally got the bodies glued together. On the left is the stock version, the right the modified one.

misc014.jpg

:angry: Shop is great !! At first I was like whats he gonna do with that little garage. Then I see the whole Layout I like it. But Dangit!! thse little cars are freaky ...... I have some HO scale cars but could not imagine even trying to build one

Ground work has begun. The pics are kind of washed out, actually it is a dark green base coat, and the darker area is Modeler's Asphalt. The green is Krylon Camo paint, this is the base for my grass. Still have to do the Fleckstone on the rest of it.

Misc001-2.jpg

Misc003-3.jpg

Have had this jar now for 10 years or better, and it's still good.