Model Cars Magazine Forum

New project

Mercman

forgottnewarrier-vi.jpg

When I saw this print by Jarius I just knew I had to do it in 3-D. So thanks to Jarius for the print, and Chester Fesmire for suppling the 40 Ford, it will soon come to fruition. It's guys like these two gentlemen who make this such a great hobby.

Along with 2 40 Fords that Chester sent me there was also a few other little (1/87th) cars, and truck cabs he sent. The wheels are turning once again. So being laid up or awhile, I guess it's back to the bench, as soon as I can get it reorganized after the home improvement project that had me move everything.

Once again guys THANKS.

Merc, I've heard the Revell 41 Willys chassis/engine mates up with the Revell 40 Coupe very well. It might suppply most of what ya need to bring this one to life.

That would be great, however this will be in 1/87th scale. I sold off most of my 1/25th scale kits. Still have a few left, some I just couldn't part with. Most of my work now is HO scale. No I don't have a train layout, but do have some train stuff to use a background pieces for some dio's I have planned.

Merc, I've heard the Revell 41 Willys chassis/engine mates up with the Revell 40 Coupe very well. It might suppply most of what ya need to bring this one to life.

I can vouch for this, but being as you're doing this in HO scale (my hat's off to you for that!), it won't help much! :)

For what it's worth, the chassis from a A M T 41 Wyllis Americar coupe fits great under a A M T 1940 Ford . I should outta know as I built both a 1941 Wyllis truck and a Coupe for the Amoco Projek . Both were converted to stock configuration too. Ed Shaver

P2270252-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

That's coming along fine. It just goes to show that good dioramas don't have to be in larger scales. If you design the base right, you might be able to have some fun with forced perspective. It would be fun to take a picture of the station while looking over the hood of a larger scale model.

Here's a forced perspective pic I just shot.

Misc027.jpg

Misc028.jpg

Looks like a cool concept.

I've often pondered building one of the Jordan HO deuce hot rods, they're little works of art. They make a 40 Ford Sedan, too.

Brett here is the 32 Coupe done by Ken H. if I remember right.

A_front_pass_Resized.jpg

Nicely done.

Permission requested to upsize to 1/25.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie, I contacted Jarius to get his permission to copy yhe print. He stated that as long as I only used it for this, and didn't try to sell or pas it off as mine(the print) he was okay with it. As for doing it in 1/25th. go for it. I believe that Jarius would be honored.

Here is another that I am also doing. This one is a Dale Klee print. It was copy righted, so I wrote and got his permission to use it.

Klee.jpg

He has quite a collection of interesting subjects that are good diorama fodder. Here is a link to his art.

http://www.oldcarart.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Been awhile posting anything on this one. I started the 40 Ford today for it. Here is what I started with.

Misc003.jpg

It was interesting to remove the hood to say the least. Now I have to carve a firewall for it.

Scoped a engine for it from a Racing Champs 59 Edsel diecast, and maybe also the tires.

Misc006.jpg

Here it is mocked up.

Misc008.jpg

Thanks again to Chester for the two IHC 40 Fords.

Like they say it's all in the little details. I built these today to go with this dio. The gas pumps are just some Evergren square tubing, capped with Plastruc Channel. The hoses are a oice of phone wire. The center light pole is aluminum tube, with brass wire, and HO scale lamp shades. Also the light on the side of the building is done the same way.

Misc011.jpg

Misc012.jpg

Finally the oil tank is made from a 1/4 in. square basswood piece, with a halve round Plastruc tube. The bottom was carved to shape, then it was covered with aluminum printers plate. The sight gauge is a pice of brass wire, and superglue tube, the fill cap/pipe and vent are pins. The legs are florist wire.

Misc001-1.jpg

Today it snowed here, even with 80 above temps.

Misc036.jpg

Now it's time to add some shadows to the snow, so as it's not so uniform, and white looking.

Here are a few of the small detail pieces I made for it also. I think the weathering on the fuel tank came out okay.

Misc028.jpg

The car is just about done.

Misc030.jpg

Finally a couple of mock up pics. Still have a few things to do yet.

Misc036.jpg

Misc034.jpg

Nice work, Junior. What did you use for the snow?

Charlie Larkin

Started with Durham's Water Putty for the base coat, then misted it with water, and sprinkled dry plaster through a strainer over the areas. Work in a small area at a time. Also Woodland Senics make a snow powder that comes in a shaker can. It's a 32 oz jar, number SN140 soft flake. I scored one today at the train show.

• 2 weeks later...