Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nu Finish- The Once A Year Car Polish

Okay, speaking from a hobby detailer prospective here so bare with me... Nu Finish is a great product for an over the counter product, but not for what you are looking to do. Nu finish is not so much a "polish" as claimed but rather a paint cleaner and sealant all in one. It is designed to chemically clean contaminants out of your paint and leave a synthetic sealant to further protect the paint from the elements it is exposed to outside. I could sort of work on a model, but I cannot say as I have not tried it myself. Basically in my eyes not what it was designed to do. For rubbing out the finish after color sanding and polishing the tried and true Scratch X, or Plastic X work really well. Why, you ask? They have micro fine abrasives to remove swirls, and fine scratches. This could be furthered by using a glaze product such as Meguire's #7 Show Car Glaze, or my favorite Prima Amigo. These glaze products are designed to fill in fine scratches even further (they contain kerotin clay) while adding oils to the paint to increase depth and slickness. On a 1:1 vehicle many people apply a few coats of glaze to hide minor imperfections and add depth and gloss to the paint. They are a temporary fix though as they will wash away. They are a win on models because you obviously will not be washing the model. You could follow up with a carnuba wax of you choice but be aware most waxes contain a very small amount of abrasive to help polish the paint. This will remove the glaze you just applied. Also I find that carnuba tends to statically charge the surface leading to more dust. On plastic this can be even more of an issue.

Edited by Blown03SVT