Model Cars Magazine Forum

compound cross slide

after a lot of searching I think I am going to skip getting a milling machine and just get a compound cross slide for this bench top drill press I got at a yard sale last week , having looked on the WWW ( that's the World Wide Web :lol: ) I see a lot of them , so I guess I am looking for recommendations , I want to keep the cost of the slide to 200 dollars or less ,,, anyone have experience with these , Thanks

I doubt you'll be happy with using a drill press as a mill. In my own experience, which may be different from other people's, I've never encountered a drill press that had anywhere near the stability of the spindle you'd want for a mill...even a little mill. Just my experience...others may differ.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The bearings in the drill press will not stand up to the side loads that are exerted through milling. Here is a company I deal with, Production Tool Supply. Anne, these guys have anything and everything machine tool related, and comparable pricing. The link takes you to the cross-slide vises. They start at $60 and go from there. http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2LMXE

Edited by vypurr59

Everything stated above is correct but, the biggest reason you do not want to do this is because the arbor on a drill press is only a press fit taper into the spindle. it is retained in the spindle by the upward pressure of "drilling". A "real" mill will have a drawbar to retain the arbor or milling attachment in the spindle. Do not use a drill press to mill things. The drill chuck will fall out and make a mess of things...

Mark

Guest G Holding

What are you trying to cut Anne ? A mill is a great tool, as is a lathe, but as pointed out every tool has its limits. Older mills can be still found cheap, as can lathes,,,I picked up an 8" Atlas with tooling for $300.00...needed belts and some love, but a great buy.

Guest G Holding

not planning on doing any milling , mostly just hole placement, if later on if I see actual milling I'll buy a mill

I might suggest a simple dremel then. I have both a drill press holder and a flex shaft set. I can cut most anything with these, I use my flex handset the most. I have an older corded type, the latest cordless is a nice unit

Your original idea was a cross slide..I really don't see a lot of use for that precision in most modeling projects, unless a lot of scratch building is planned

Edited by G Holding