Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy 572 V8

I'm guessing you mean Chevy...

You can get one from any kit with a big block chevy. Externally, it's identical to any other BBC.

I don't think so, as the 572 is a crate engine of a more modern design, and I've yet to see a kit which includes this engine with the raised numeral/letter valve covers:

38070-1280x960.jpg

I don't think so, as the 572 is a crate engine of a more modern design, and I've yet to see a kit which includes this engine with the raised numeral/letter valve covers:

In reality, the 572, offered by GM since 1998 as a crate motor (as you say) actually IS a development of the old-school "big-block" Chevy, as LDO says. The only major visual deviations from an iron big block to the photo above are alloy heads, and reconfigured taller alloy valve covers to clear a roller-rocker valvetrain. Painting regular big-block heads to simulate aluminum and coming up with the right valve covers would be all that's necessary to represent this engine.

This is the current 427 crate engine, also available from Summit. Pretty much the same visually.

nal-19166393_w_ml.jpgIn the real world, it is ALSO possible to assemble a complete 572 using all aftermarket components, sourcing nothing from GM.

This is an iron big-block 427 from 1969. it is very similar visually, other than the valve covers. Note the exhaust port spacing and valve cover base shape, the water pump attachment points, and the 3 drilled and tapped holes on the end of the head to accept the accessories and brackets from the other versions of big-block Chevy engines.

1969-LS-1.jpg

On the other hand, this is the "more modern design" (intro'd in 1997 and referred to as the "LS", with ribbed block, much flatter valve covers, different port angles, etc) large displacement GM V8. The Gen IV version of this engine is available in up to 7 liters (427c.i.) .

sucp_1107_01+700_hp_LS_454_stroker_build

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for the pix & info, gents.

I had never seen one up of these engines up-close until I went to a cruise-in on Saturday, and didn't have my camera with me!

I also didn't know the genesis of the engine.

I've got a kit with a decent 454 in it that I can use as a basic block; now if I can just find some "572" valve covers....

Thanks for the pix & info, gents.

I had never seen one up of these engines up-close until I went to a cruise-in on Saturday, and didn't have my camera with me!

I also didn't know the genesis of the engine.

I've got a kit with a decent 454 in it that I can use as a basic block; now if I can just find some "572" valve covers....

VCG Resins has the 572 valve covers listed separately. As has been mentioned previously in this thread any traditional BBC will work to simulate a 572 once you slap on those valve covers.

In reality, the 572, offered by GM since 1998 as a crate motor (as you say) actually IS a development of the old-school "big-block" Chevy, as LDO says. The only major visual deviations from an iron big block to the photo above are alloy heads, and reconfigured taller alloy valve covers to clear a roller-rocker valvetrain. Painting regular big-block heads to simulate aluminum and coming up with the right valve covers would be all that's necessary to represent this engine.

This is the current 427 crate engine, also available from Summit. Pretty much the same visually.

nal-19166393_w_ml.jpgIn the real world, it is ALSO possible to assemble a complete 572 using all aftermarket components, sourcing nothing from GM.

This is an iron big-block 427 from 1969. it is very similar visually, other than the valve covers. Note the exhaust port spacing and valve cover base shape, the water pump attachment points, and the 3 drilled and tapped holes on the end of the head to accept the accessories and brackets from the other versions of big-block Chevy engines.

1969-LS-1.jpg

On the other hand, this is the "more modern design" (intro'd in 1997 and referred to as the "LS", with ribbed block, much flatter valve covers, different port angles, etc) large displacement GM V8. The Gen IV version of this engine is available in up to 7 liters (427c.i.) .

sucp_1107_01+700_hp_LS_454_stroker_build

Although the LS motor can be had in displacement upwards of 7.0L (427 cu in) in the Z06 and others it is generally considered to be part of the small-block evolutionary tree. The last real incarnation of the true big block line was the 8.1L (496 cu in) or Vortec 8100 produced from 2001-2006. It essentially was a big-block Chevy that was partially re-engineered to try and take advantage of the technological advancements of the LS/Vortec small-blocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine

Edited by LOBBS

cool looking engines , but I have a silly question , what is the difference in small block and big block , is there such a thing as a small block 427 and a big block 427 ,, it's Monday morning , I need to learn one thing today !!

I seem to recall there was a small block 400 and a big block 400(but the big block was really a 402), I don't think there were any other SB/BB chevy V8 blocks, I bet somemone with more knowledge than I will clarify further.

265 thru 400 are SMALL block Chevy's. 366 thru 572 are BIG block chevys. There ARE 427 SMALL BLOCKS, done by boreing and strokeing. The 366 BIG BLOCK is a TRUCK ONLY engine, and the rest are both car AND truck engines. Plus, they are both physically different. The Big chevy is... BIGGER than a small block, and has separate exhast ports, and the small block has the center two cylinders siamised. oh, and it's smaller.

Another point...just like you can put aftermarket or fabricated valve covers on any engine, not ALL 572 Chevys will have the valve covers that come with the complete crate engines. It's common to see fabricated covers similar to these on hot street rides and competition cars.

%21B1bMw%28%21%21Wk~$%28KGrHqQOKiYEw%29r$T2eC16hHJIkE9qU3l4RbBRULL%2859Yw~~60_35

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

265 thru 400 are SMALL block Chevy's. 366 thru 572 are BIG block chevys. There ARE 427 SMALL BLOCKS, done by boreing and strokeing. The 366 BIG BLOCK is a TRUCK ONLY engine, and the rest are both car AND truck engines. Plus, they are both physically different. The Big chevy is... BIGGER than a small block, and has separate exhast ports, and the small block has the center two cylinders siamised. oh, and it's smaller.

There was also a 427 that shared the same block as the 366 that is also a Truck only engine. That block is also the basis for the Tall Deck big blocks.