Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's Your Background Noise?

Guest rick r

Every modeler I've ever known has used the hobby as a relaxant, and almost every one uses a special concoction of environment to aid the process. Earlier this year I would've said 'Talk Radio" was my sole bg element, but it got old, local hosts changed, and while I'll be back, it may not be tomorrow...

More recently I bought some tv dvd sets of old tv series, 'Mannix', `Harry O', stuff from the 70s that I didn't see first-run when I was in Alaska. Neat stuff, but in short doses, so I'm casting for background noise.

What do some of you use?

Actually, my background music is Hawaiian music, of course.

Talk show hosts are so full of themselves, think their opinion matters, and they are always right.

Sorry, don't like them, but they are fun to laugh at some times!!!!

Nothing beats a good jam with a great slack key guitarist and an incredible voice, telling stories of our land, the way it was...

For my birthday this past year my wife bought me a portable DVD/CD player. I have it set up in my workshop, just a little 7 inch screen, but I like it for the noise.

I usually play any of my auto related movies and my Best Motoring collection. They are all in Japanese with english subtitles. They test out some pretty cool cars not unlike Top Gear out of the UK.

Anyway, that's what is on in my work area when I'm their, which has been not lately...

Chris

Me i do most of my modeling right here, in front of the computer. I just work between key strokes. Window"s Media Player is usually blasting out 70's and 80's hard rock/heavy metal. Ozzy, Metalica (oh wait, that's 90's), Pantera, Fait no More, The classics.

If you ever get a chance listen to the band called Apocalyptica , they play hard rock/heavy metal on Cellos. It's just amazing.

I enjoy basically all music depends on the mood or job at task.But lately I've been listening to Old Time Radio programs like Amos and Andy, Unsolved Mysteries, Aldrich Family, well you get the idea. It gives me something to fill the void of silence and a chuckle here and there.

Typically I will try to put on some talk radio. I enjoy the chatter. The cable jack in my model Shoppe doesn't seem to work and i have never really felt the motivation to climb around the attic tracing cables and getting all itchy from the isultation, so I never put a TV in there. If I can't find any good talk radio I'll put on some CDs, streaming mp3s or put on the sound from the tv on in the model shop's stereo with the Zone2 from the receiver in the living room.

Well it varies for me but above all I need some noise or form of it. It is either:

Movies on Ipod - screen is small enough to see but takes up little room. I have ripped my entire DVD library to an external drive. Drag and drop baby.

Music on Ipod - this is an easy one. I have modeled so long before that I have killed a full Pod charge!

TV - given source of noise. Usually Discovery or TLC or History - always technical shows like How its Made/Mythbusters/WWII stuff. For the ultimate shut out the world feeling I turn on Dr. Phil or some ###### like that. I have found that I have learned more politically through modelling than I have ever known in my life. So I am finding that the news and CNN are on a lot more lately.

EDIT - One noise I hate hearing is the wife yelling at me to get up and do something that can wait til later. I think she likes to tick me off when she gets bored!!!

Edited by Enzoenvy1

Guest roadkill2525

I'll listen to rock music, mostly AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, KISS, The Doors, Alice Cooper, Aerosmith, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osborne, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Magedeath, Motorhead, Metallica, Motley Crue, Pink Floyd, Queen, The Ramones, Rainbow, Rare Earth, Steppenwolf, Ted Nugent, Twisted Sister, The Who, Guns & Roses, Jethro Tull, Iron Butterfly, Grand Funk Railroad, Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult, Dio, Deep Purple, CCR, The Clash, Boston, Billy Idol, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Anthrax, ELO, Jefferson Airplane, Cream, America, Bad Company, The Kinks, Thin Lizzy, Slayer, .38 Special, Canned Heat, Foreigner, Chuck Berry, Jan & Dean, The Beach Boys, Kansas, The Box Tops and Bill Haley to name a few.

I can't work with the TV on because it's too much of a distraction. The repeated commercial loops get to me a lot too. ;) I do, however, get more done when I am listening to music from one of many sources like: hard drive, CD, DVD-A, SACD, MiniDisc, or even internet radio (Swissgroove.ch if you want an idea of what kind of music I'm into. If you added Zappa and a bit of classic rock to their playlist you wouldn't have too many holes in my collection. <_< ) I haven't tried to do any vinyl because I have to keep getting up every 15 to 20 minutes to change what's on the 'table. <_< I guess I could do it while I'm painting because I move around more between the spray area, the dehydrator and the bench. Although, I could just use the record side as a timer for the dehydrator.... :D:D

right this very minute its the Oregon Ducks v. Oregon St. Beavers Civil War football game, so not much modeling is being done, as I watch my Ducks crumble without Dennis Dixon.

I very rarely have the TV on when I model as i find it too distracting.

usually its either nothing at all, or some type of music, which usually consists of hard rock( Tool, Metallica, Faith No More), or country music.

cant stand talk radio, or any other type of music except classic rock.

My son is saving up to upgrade his Ipod...his only holds 800 or so songs ( I didn't even know there were 800 songs!)...so I will purchase his after Christmas and I can get rid of the P.O.S. Sansdisk thingy I have. Sometimes I'll just listen to the t.v. while I'm modeling but when the kids are playting video games I have to have something to cover up that...the background music for those video games drive me nuts. I listen to mostly metal with some hardcore punk, classic rock and even some classical thrown in. Pantera, System of a Down, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Prrimus, Scorpions, UFO, Tank are a few of my faves.

I have about 5000 songs in iTunes on my computer, and my home office is also my modeling room...so I put on a playlist with the volume relatively low for background noise when I model....a little bit of everything...classical, jazz, classic rock, alternative rock, metal, ambient, electronica, a little country and hip-hop.

At my modeling desk, I have a small TV that's always on. I tend to put on stuff that I have see many times before. I don't watch the TV for the most part. I also watch those sporting events (not my teams) that I might not normally watch. Looking up for the occasional replay. And quite often I will put on Deep Tracks and just listen to music.

But the Best noise is Thursday nights, when I invite my modeling buddies over, and we sit around my dinning room table building & shooting the bull. Non-stop... It's great!