Model Cars Magazine Forum

How To Strip Airbrushed Acrylic Testors?

How to strip airbrushed acrylic Testors? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Caustic soda Mixed with cold water, i have found it to strip any paint, and is totally safe on plastic, never tried it on resin though

Hope this helps,

Edited by GeeBee

Caustic soda? I've never seen that product in the U.S.

91 percent isopropyl alcohol should do it. Look for the type with the red label.

If you can't find it listed as caustic soda, look out for Sodium Hydroxide, that's the chemical name for it.

I had some parts that were painted with Tamiya Acrylic, on a model i bought part built, i tried the alcohol solution, there were soaked in there for about a week, it did soften the paint, but it was hard work, and would have took ages to scrub off.

I took the parts out of the alcohol, rinced with water, and put them into the caustic solution, 30 minutes and they were back to the plastic.

Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who uses caustic soda to strip paint.

I use mainly Humbrol Enamel paint and always was able to strip it regardless of age.

I didn't know that it could be used to strip acrylic paint. Thankyou for bringing this out in the open.

I will now use more acrylic paint

Cheers

John