Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/43 scale Jaguar XJS British Smurf

ismaelg

Hello,

Looking at my models I realized I don't have any british cars, and I've never done a 1/43 scale model. So this stone can get 2 birds at the same time :lol:

I can't really say I'm a huge fan, but British cars have their place in automotive history. I have seen incredible 1/43 models that rival larger scales. You may have seen Simon's Ferrari 312T and Porsche 962. I have hold them in my hands in awe. But I'm taking it slow and easy. Heller made a few 1/43 kits that are very simple, yet look decent enough for the price. From that series is this Jaguar XJS. A V12 luxury GT car made from the mid 70's until the early '90s.

Boy this is tiny!

The body looks decent. The model includes a very crude engine but the hood is molded shut. I'll leave it like that.

DSCF8955-vi.jpg

A coat of T236 Plastikote primer revealed a few low spots and minor bodywork needed. After that a second coat and it's ready for paint.

DSCF8959-vi.jpg

Interior is very basic. I used Model Master Flat interior tan and military brown.

DSCF8978-vi.jpg

But you didn't think for a second that I was going to leave it alone, did you?

I added seatbelts, buckles, seatbelt reels, some buttons, console plate etc. The door panels and the dash have wood trim.

DSCF9000-vi.jpg

DSCF9001-vi.jpg

Let's see where this gets.

Thanks,

Edited by ismaelg

:D Aww, C'mon Iz, go ahead, cut that hood open! You know you WANT to! Geeze, It makes me wonder what they put in you guy's water that allows all you guys to be able to build like you do. Still wouldn't want to live there, but it sure looks like a nice place to visit(an drink some water!) :D

Hey Ismael, a pretty good start for this project. I think that one of the peculiarities of work in such small scales as 1/43, 1/32. or smaller, it's something that you have in big amounts, "slow working pace". Since everything it's smaller, you should work with more caution that in 1/24, for example.

I have an advise that I guess you already know, just in case. To kill two birds with the same shoot, you could used lacquer thinner with this hobby enamel paint. It dries faster, can be handle in around an hour or less, and will have the advantage of lacquer properties, were everything it's thinner, something that you will need in all those nice engraved detailing in the underneath were polishing it's almost impossible.

Anyway, I seeing the model it's being as the usual quality in all your builds...what else I can said: "Welcome to the little leagues".

Va bien conco'...espero verlo el Domingo.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

• 1 month later...