Model Cars Magazine Forum

Concept Charger

Custom Mike

As said in the "Gladiator" movie' !Bring them death and they will love you for it" and this here is one killing machine!!!!!! :lol: Very very cooolllll nice modifying and implementing. Thanks for the progress pics Ive learned alot messing with this nut-case AhHaHAhahah screaammm!!!(jus foolin Mike)

Peace

AJulia

Jeffbo, Raul, and Adalberto(Tito), thanks! Comments and opinions are encouraged, even if it is to say I'm nuts!

Well, I have an interior panel done! Only three more to go, anyone want to do them for me? Since I have 3 of this kit, I took the stock panels, and chopped up the back one and attached it to the front. Way too much work, but it looks good. I started on this yesterday about 9pm, and I just finished it about an hour ago. Now I'm working on the panel next to the back seat, but the camera's batteries have died, so pics of that will have to wait. Here's the pics, this was a real pain to pull off, but I'm happy with the results!

ConceptCharger0386-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0387-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0388-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0389-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0390-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0391-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0392-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0393-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0394-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0395-vi.jpg

Jeffbo, Raul, and Adalberto(Tito), thanks! Comments and opinions are encouraged, even if it is to say I'm nuts!

Well, I have an interior panel done! Only three more to go, anyone want to do them for me? Since I have 3 of this kit, I took the stock panels, and chopped up the back one and attached it to the front. Way too much work, but it looks good. I started on this yesterday about 9pm, and I just finished it about an hour ago. Now I'm working on the panel next to the back seat, but the camera's batteries have died, so pics of that will have to wait. Here's the pics, this was a real pain to pull off, but I'm happy with the results!

Mike,

That's the thing about custom work, it's hard to do well, it takes a long time and often has to be redone several time before you're happy with the finished result...but the reward is having something really nice that's unique and appreciated by your peers.

Keep going, your doing GREAT!!

Raul, you know too well what it takes to pull this stuff off, so I really appreciate having your opinion on things. I wish I could get that door panel perfect, but I just don't have the tools for it at this time. I need some bent riffer files to get it perfect, but I'm going to have to settle for the fact that the seat hides the flaws on this one. Here's a new pic for ya, I've started on the back seat panel, it's roughed into shape, and the filler will be applied in a minute, but here's where it starts!

ConceptCharger0396-vi.jpg

Mike,

A little more sanding, primer and some Fabric paint will bring that front panel right in line.

Here's a couple of tips that might help with the door panels;

I often will make specially shaped sanding blocks from balsa or plastic, depending on the shape I'm trying to achieve. They really help even things up and make them look consistent from side-to-side. I also use my razor saw for cutting some of the lines in the interior door panels. It does a great job of straightening up lines.

Round the leading and trailing edges of the panels where they meet. Real interior trim is typically very rounded in these areas. It helps buffer some of the minor alignment issues between the panels. If they're perfectly square where they meet, any misalignment really shows.

You can kind of see what I'm talking about if you look at where the door panel and the quarter panel meet in this pic. In the case of the Mustang kit that I took the interior from, the quarter panel is actually offset from the door panel by about 3 scale inches for the armrest. That's one of the beauties of custom work...as long as it's the same on both sides and it looks good, it is good!!

49Merc03-vi.jpg

Keep the faith and keep going, it's really starting to take shape!!

Raul, that interior is beautiful, I'm still trying to get to that level of cleanliness on my stuff. I've got the body work down pat, paint jobs are a breeze now, but that kind of work still eludes me. I'll get there someday too, I just need to slow down and be a little more patient and I'll get there. then my head will swell and you'll all hate me! ;)

My passenger side panels are done, the dash is painted and decals were applied, and the floor pan and seats are painted, So it's on to the driver's side panels tonight, and they will take much more work than the passenger side due to the opening door. I need to make filler pieces for the edges, and the door panel itself will need to be perfect, since it will be fully visible. No using the seat to hide flaws this time, so this will be fun. Here's the latest pics, more tomorrow night!

ConceptCharger0424-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0426-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0427-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0429-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0431-vi.jpg

ConceptCharger0432-vi.jpg

Mike,

The dash and the interior panels are looking really good. Here's on small tip for you, (if you don't already know this one); try using BMF to mask your paint lines for the fine details on your body and interior parts. If you burnish it down real good with a piece of balsa wood before and after you cut it, you can get a PERFECTLY clean edge. Take a look at this example of masking with BMF for use with Testors spray can lacquer.

Here's a side shot of the body.

40Ford01-vi.jpg

Here's a closeup of the door.

40Ford02-vi.jpg

You can get a perfect line every time, but like I said, you have to burnish it really good before and after you cut it.

Good luck,

I just wanted to say that this thing is awesome!!!! I wish i had the time, the money and the skill to do that, but being in the military i havent got the money, and being married with 1 14 month old and one on the way, I havent got the time. I work on mine by bits and peices. Right now I am working on a Snake Bite monster truck, a challenger, a studebaker avanti, a '99 Silverado and a nissan 350z. All a work in progress. Thanks Mike for showing us your work, it is much appreciated

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest JamesDE

I thought I recognized this car.... Whats up Mike?? I think you know me as Darkside. Hurry up and get back to work on this one. Man, I cant wait to see this one all done up. L8R. James

Guest JamesDE
nah, hes just waiting to explode on us, lol, what im thinking is to give a try to that acrilic nail thing

You should try the acrylic nail filler. Mike swears by it that its the best.