Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW 1/16 peteriblt release kit

Correct but when those kits came out originally in 79,80 Alcad didn't exist for that matter a lot of paints ,aftermarket stuff and supplies didn't either. Modelers had to be more creative. For anyone buying that kit that was Monograms intent more so than a defect.

Correct but when those kits came out originally in 79,80 Alcad didn't exist for that matter a lot of paints ,aftermarket stuff and supplies didn't either. Modelers had to be more creative. For anyone buying that kit that was Monograms intent more so than a defect.

leo, you are correct on that. my comment was not directed toward you at all. i'm very aware when they first came out......i bought one back then and it had the chrome and aluminum finish parts in it. if the chrome is good it still needs to be stripped to address the modeling basics, seams, sink marks, injector pin marks and mold lines.

this is why i said "that's what alclad is for".

No problem, I got ya. You're right most chrome needs to be stripped any way for seems etc. Chrome just doesn't look right some times I,m guessing a lot of modelers never seen this kit before so they're surprised when they see the satin finish.

well the color on the cab and sleeper isnt the same yellow as the old ones its a transparent yellow like a lighter yellow but other than that everything is the same and the chrome parts are all chrome.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg596/williamchevelleman1972/me002.jpg]http://me002.jpg

http://me001-1.jpg http://me004.jpg

Edited by williamchevelleman1972

did anybody notice the luberefiner is on the passenger side on the box art? i know it doesn't matter. but was wondering if the instructions show to build it that way. i thought all 359's had the air breather on the passenger side and the luberefiner on the driver side in the early years,

Air cleaner location depends on the engine and if it's dual or single air cleaner. Single air cleaner Detroit 8v92t had left air cleaners as would single air cleaner 3408 Cats. The intake side of the turbo on both those v 8s face left simplifieing plumbing. The Luberefiner could be anywhere including in front of the left battery box on the frame if the truck was equipped with one as spin on filters were becoming available. Another factor could be if the truck is a 119" or 127 bbc. The Monogram kit is the 119' bbc. Our resident Pete expert Tim could tell you much better than I can.

thanks leo.the only trucks i drove with detroits where the 4200 series internationals and some louisville fords.they all had internal air breathers. as far as cats i drove some kw's some had 1693's the others had 3406's none with the 3408. and the rest of my trucking career was and still is spent looking threw a windsheild at the rearend of a bulldog lol!

Edited by cappy625

With the engine the kit has, it really should be a 127". When this kit was developed, the 127" long hood wasn't a style option, you got it if you spec'd certain engines. It was around '82 or so that the long hood (no such name as 'extended hood' in the Peterbilt price book) became a style option as well as a requirement with certain engines. Standard config with this engine and the 8v92 and 8v71 turbocharged would have the air cleaner on the left (single only as there wasn't enough room under the hood for the piping to the right for a 2nd air cleaner). The RH Luberfiner is correct. If a 2nd breather was installed (perhaps a dummy unit on a 119") the Luberfiner would be mounted on the frame rail beside the battery box (left or right).

Take a look at the red 359 on the left and the orange 359 on the right.

classof74strip1.jpg

Tim

With the engine the kit has, it really should be a 127". When this kit was developed, the 127" long hood wasn't a style option, you got it if you spec'd certain engines. It was around '82 or so that the long hood (no such name as 'extended hood' in the Peterbilt price book) became a style option as well as a requirement with certain engines. Standard config with this engine and the 8v92 and 8v71 turbocharged would have the air cleaner on the left (single only as there wasn't enough room under the hood for the piping to the right for a 2nd air cleaner). The RH Luberfiner is correct. If a 2nd breather was installed (perhaps a dummy unit on a 119") the Luberfiner would be mounted on the frame rail beside the battery box (left or right).

Take a look at the red 359 on the left and the orange 359 on the right.

classof74strip1.jpg

Tim

thanks tim.