Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Turnpike

dh1908

Has anyone ever had an AMT Turnpike set?

I'm always watching Ebay for cars and parts.

They were based on AMTs promo Fords, Mercs, Pontiacs and Chevys 1/25 scale.

Not at all compatable with any other slot car sets.

I'd love to set mine up, but it takes alot of space.

I remember them. I recall them being 1/25 scale and if I remember right they were raced on a track but were not slot cars. You could control them anywhere on the track. Hopefully my memory is correct. If not perhaps someone will come along with more or better info.

Here's a better explanation:

AMT made a slot car set in the early 60s that was different than most sets.

The track contacts were not visible, only a single slot in the middle of each lane. A small "carriage assembly" ran under the track that carried the electrical connections through the single slot. A pivot assembly on the car "pinned" the car to the track. You could spin-out, but not leave the track. A steering wheel
controller gave you the ability to actually "drive" the car 3 to 4 inches from left to right. The track is 13" wide. The cars were Fords and GMs made from promo car bodies. Chassis were 2 wheelbases, the big Ford and GM. Most sets came with the smaller wheelbase Thunderbird. There was an "A" chassis for the Thunderbird , and the remainder were a "B" chassis.

Several short videos on Youtube

If anyone finds any sets at a Flea Market for $100, buy them and contact me!!

• 2 months later...

Yup, had one and think it may still be in the attic at the old man's house. The bodies for these were molded of Cycolac, which was a trade name for ABS. Tougher than styrene. The track had a 'crossover' too, so you could use the steering to switch from lane to lane. i recall the sweep contacts on the steering wheels were troublesome, and electrical connectivity wasn't particularly reliable...took some fiddling to keep it all working (I used it a lot), but it got me interested in electronics and electrical repairs. I swapped a lot of screw-bottom styrene bodies on to the Turnpike chassis, and they didn't hold up as well as the ABS versions.