Model Cars Magazine Forum

garbage truck

To show how far AMT was in to the Garwood project, check out the box.

00FordC600refusetruckAMT125box-vi.jpg

Informatiomal update:

source: Classic Refuse Trucks

cc0411-09.jpg

Some intriguing plastic model kits from the 1970s have recently come to my attention. Shown above is a 1/25 scale Ford C-series with a Gar Wood LP-725-9 packer body from AMT models. This kit is believed to have been in production, but nothing else is known about it at this time.

cc0411-10.jpg

Next up is a 1/25 scale Ford with the Gar Wood Load-Packer 900 series body. Reportedly, the box was printed in anticipation of the models release, which never happened. This may have been commissioned by Sargent Industries (then owner of Gar Wood) in order to promote their high-compaction refuse body. Sargent divested itself of Gar Wood in 1979, and sold the design rights to the LP-900 to Heil, which may explain why this model kit was suddenly cancelled.

• 1 year later...

AMT never produced the kit. It was planned for a release with a Link-Belt crane/excavator. The refuse truck body only made it to prototype stages and during a labor dispute when the offices were closed, the pieces were damaged due to moisture and the planned kits were scrapped. Only the box art survived as well as the promotional announcement advertising sheets. Had there not been a union strike, the kits may well have been produced.

The link that Casey posted has the story from a former AMT staffer. http://www.bonediggers.com/2-1/wlazlo/wlazlo.html

Tim

Heading to NYC? I don't envy you, Ray. NYC is tough to drive in with a car let alone a tractor/trailer. Isn't the NYC Sanitation Department up in The Bronx?

Been there, done that and didn't even get a stinkin t shirt!

A little back on topic, I've been considering a rolloff build.

AMT never produced the kit. It was planned for a release with a Link-Belt crane/excavator. The refuse truck body only made it to prototype stages and during a labor dispute when the offices were closed, the pieces were damaged due to moisture and the planned kits were scrapped. Only the box art survived as well as the promotional announcement advertising sheets. Had there not been a union strike, the kits may well have been produced.

The link that Casey posted has the story from a former AMT staffer. http://www.bonediggers.com/2-1/wlazlo/wlazlo.html

Tim

Very interesting information. I wonder how long AMT would have lasted if the strike had been resolved amicable. Would we have seen the newer trucks and longer trailers of that time as 1/25th scale kits?

• 1 year later...

Dave Natale built one from an AMT Ford Louisville kit (I think), and it was in an issue of SAE about 20 years ago.

WP_20140202_009.jpg

I had no idea there were so many variety of refuse bodies, and so many companies which were all in competition to produce them. I just finished reading the GarWood history article over at the Classic Refuse Trucks 'site http://www.classicrefusetrucks.com/index.html, and I can't imagine how anyone would decide which specific make and model to produce if making multiple copies. Granted, anything would be better than nothing, but the variety is astounding. Talk about trucks we take for granted...