Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Da Revell Fast Guys"

Uncle Keith

Hi! guys,

I've decided on my next build, a 1/16 scale rear engine dragster from the early 70's, Kuhl & Olson "Da Revell Fast Guys". post-8687-0-53749200-1319480552_thumb.jp

It's funny how carma, intentional misspelling, works. I chose this particular kit because it's the only back-motored digger kit I have. Thought it would be good for a second in a long time build. I'm lookin' at it, thinkin' I don't remember buyin' this kit. I open it and find another surprise. It's been started. The driver figure is assembled and painted, the seat and harnesses are assembled, and the frame halves are assembled. What the...?! I open the instructions and there's the decal sheet. Flippin' through the directions, I find notes written... in my Dad's hand! Man-Oh-Man the tears start flowin'. This kit was started by my Dad! He only ever had two large scale kits, this one and the Jeb Allen car, which he completed. WOW! I'm blown away!

If you haven't figured it out yet... my Dad, my best friend, is passed away. He was THE consumate "car guy". He also built models, 1/25 cars, 1/72 WWII aircraft, and HO steam era trains. He sold his large, about 750 kits he had been collecting since the 50's, model car collection to fund his 1:1 race car. He kept a few kits. I have them now. I figured out that he had kept kits and completes of 1:1 cars he had owned. They are all 1/25 scale. My intent is to restore and build what he saved.

Sorry for the short story to announce my current build. Thanks for lettin' me ramble and reminisce a bit. I'll get some pics up so you can see it's current state. I'll have questions I know you all will help me with. I'm now REALLY lookin' forward to this build. Gotta' do my "Pops" proud... He's watchin' me!

Have A Great Day!!! I am!!!

You have to love life when it comes at you from out of nowhere and gives you a great big intergalactic group hug. I know as well as you do Keith, that things like this are all part of the cosmic plan and you just stepped into it with both feet.

This is going to bring you a joy you can't comprehend yet and you're gonna love it. Do what you can, when you can and we'll help in any way possible along the way.

Keith, I just want to say that this is very heart felt and I appreciate you sharing your experience. I don't even what to think what I would have done if that was me opening up the box and finding out it was once my father's.

This will be a great kit, and one that you will cherish forever knowing the story behind it.

What a great back story Kieth. Thanks for sharing that with us and also sharing your upcoming build with us, at least, I hope you do. Now before you go and spill paint or glue on your dad's handwritten notes, scan and/or photograph them and put them away unless you need them to put this build together. Take any means necessary to preserve those notes. You'll be glad you did.

What a great back story Kieth. Thanks for sharing that with us and also sharing your upcoming build with us, at least, I hope you do. Now before you go and spill paint or glue on your dad's handwritten notes, scan and/or photograph them and put them away unless you need them to put this build together. Take any means necessary to preserve those notes. You'll be glad you did.

That is a great idea, I would go as far as to photocopy and put the original away. Put the photocopy in a shadow box with your completed build of the car.

Hey Keith... This is going to be an awesome build man. I think it is totally cool how this kit was your dads. I would def. do what Brad suggestes. scan the instuctions or make copies of them and put the other one in a safe place. I look forward to seeing this come together. Going to be a great build.

Thanks so much fellas! It helps to tell these stories. Thanks for listenin'!

The notes are written right on the instruction sheets. I've copied the instructions and put the originals away as you guys suggested. Great idea! Thank you! Don't need 'em to build the kit. He's my Dad and we were best buddies, but we didn't always think the same. You know, there's more than one path to the same destination.

Pics and questions to come! Thanks again, guys!

Have A Great Day!!!

Well, here's a small update.

I wanted to show you guys what I found when I open the kit.

post-8687-0-49167900-1319608295_thumb.jp

Looks like some anodizing was attempted. Not successfully on that floor pan.

post-8687-0-24278900-1319608300_thumb.jp

This is the assembled, painted seat, with adjusters and clasp. Sorry, the pic is not the best.

post-8687-0-52606800-1319608309_thumb.jp

I love this one! This is one of my Dad's little notes. He corrected a mistake on the instruction sheet. Couldn't have one silver cyl. head and one black cyl. head.

post-8687-0-05669200-1319608305_thumb.jp

Any suggestions on how to simulate annodizing? There's lots of red annodized bits on this car.

I want to smooth all the mold lines on the frame and paint it, but Revell wants the roll cage area left unglued to accommodate seat installation and then glue the cage halves together after the seat is installed. This would make glue line removal and frame painting difficult. Any suggestions?

All comments and suggestions are welcome, please!

Have A Great Day!

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, Big fan of 16th scale dragsters/funny cars etc.

When i built my Garlitts car i replaced most of the plastic fittings for the fuel and oil lines with metal ones and braided hoses and painted the fittings silver and then tamiya clear red and clear blue

Hope this helps

Keith,

Great project. I too am starting on the K&O car. Hopefully I can figure out how to post pictures. On the anodizing, I've used Tamiya Clear Red over a silver base coat after I stripped the chrome off. Works great. On the roll cage, I glue the roll cage together and then sand it smooth. When I put in the seat/back support piece, I leave one of the ends that glues to the chassis free and spread the rails slightly to fit the seat in. Then glue the support to the bottom rail. Works good for me so far.

Good Luck

Tim