Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Olds Convertible.

Ron Hamilton

B) Nice project. I have a like new org AMT kit that I also have been toying with and a great resin kit by Missinglink resin both are hard tops and I'm thinking of cutting the roof off of one of them. Take a look at the Revel 65 Impala convertible kit I think that is the same frame work GM used on most of it full sized cars I'm going with that to replace the front windshield. Good luck with your project I will be watching this one close.

Gee Ron, looks like a likely candidate to become one of these. Just need the roof from a Grand Prix and a bit of work for the grille, taillights and probably the interiior. B)

That was my oriiginal plan, to do it up as a Starfire. I would have to modify the grille, rear end, tail lights, and side trim to Starfire specs, as well as the entire interior.

A Jetstar I would have been more feasible, where the roof, and fender vents would have been the major exterior mods.

1.jpg.

On Easter Monday, 1965, Dad traded his '62 Olds Starfire Convertible, which was a twin to this one,

40.jpg

for one of these...

oldsmobile-98-luxury-sedan-04.jpg

His car was Navy Blue with a Black Vinyl Roof, and Blue Cloth Interior. It looked to have everything that Olds had to offer for 1965, including the "Starfire" 425/370 engine, and the coolest radio I heard at that point, with a Reverberator. He saw a car like it at the Auto Show. We must have looked at it about 3 or 4 times. Dad tried to buy it on the spot, but he was told it was sold. The idiot salesman did not bother to try to sell him another one, as he did not take him seriously. Big Mistake! When I was in the car business, I could not wait for the auto show, as I consistantly sold vehicles as a result of doing the show.

The 98 LS would be the ultimate conversion, as the real car was just so cool. I may just give it a shot at another time, as I have another '65 Olds to re-do.

DSCF4031_zps234c9450.jpg

I picked this one up at the same time I got the convertible.

I have not taken any other pictures yet, but the majority of the conversion work has been done on the convertible. It's been cleaned up, the hood has been opened, and the underhood work has been done. I have an engine and transmission for it, which I have to fit to the car. I have to find a set of appropriate wheelcovers, and a steering wheel, then it's off to the paint booth. The plan is to paint it in the colors of Dad's car. Dark Blue, with a lighter blue vinyl interior and boot.

B) Nice project. I have a like new org AMT kit that I also have been toying with and a great resin kit by Missinglink resin both are hard tops and I'm thinking of cutting the roof off of one of them. Take a look at the Revel 65 Impala convertible kit I think that is the same frame work GM used on most of it full sized cars I'm going with that to replace the front windshield. Good luck with your project I will be watching this one close.

Thanks. I used quite a bit of a Revell '65 Impala for the chassis, floors, and underhood structure. I had to stretch the chassis ever so slightly to center the wheels, but I got everything to work so far. I hope to fit the engine/transmission/exhaust tomorrow.

Here is where I am with the build.

1965OldsmobileDynamic88Convertible1006_z

1965OldsmobileDynamic88Convertible1005_z

I cut the hood open, and fitted the chassis , floorboard, windshield frame , and up-top from the Revell 1965 Impala SS. The Revell parts had to be "massaged" to fit under the AMT Olds.

1965OldsmobileDynamic88Convertible1007_z

1965OldsmobileDynamic88Convertible1004_z

1965OldsmobileDynamic88Convertible1003_z

1965OldsmobileDynamic88Convertible1001_z

Now I have to fit the engine, and tighten up the fit of everything before I lay down the primer. I'll have some more pictures once I fit the engine and transmission. Once that is done, I'll deal with adding some detail to the interior.

• 2 months later...

I painted it tonight. Sorry there are no pics yet, as it is drying as I write this. I found a can of Dark Blue Duplicolor in the basement, and I shot it. I did not do a clear coat on it, and I may not do it, as I have found that some colors look deeper when polished without the clear coat. I am going to use Mcguiar's #7 on it, as the paint is actually pretty smooth. I hope to paint the chassis and interior tomorrow if weather permits, after I do my yard work. I'll take a few pictures soon.