Model Cars Magazine Forum

A few questions for Johan fans from IMC

SteveG

Testors offered the 1970 Olds 442, the 1969 Rambler & the Pro Stock version of the Comet with all the kit parts, plus a set of pewter rims & wider tires in their "HSO", (Hobby Shop Only), line about 10 years ago. They were in much heavier cardboard packaging, & were offered roughly concurrently with their HSO Jimmy Flintstone kits.

They also offered the 74(?) Barracuda in the HSO line

The only johan kit I ever did was the ramble from the testors HSO run and it was in such pisspoor shape, I guess the guy was was in chage ofsetting the mold depth on the injector was a sleep cause the only thing I could use from the kit was the wheels that was flintstones everything else was a horror show.But I would love to see the kits at like hobbytown so I can get my hands on a few,and I bet with all the new revellogram chevy's and round2 or the proshop amt chevy kit fom the 90's they could be modifided for the pontiac.

Edited by riknight1972

I say bring back everything Johan ever did!

Wow ...wouldn't that be something If I could help pull that off !!!! OK so counting Harry, (you're in for one of each right) all I need is another 4,999 or so die-hard and dedicated Johan fans, assuming I got that in the bag and I brought back 6 kits a year, I wonder how long it would take to re-run the whole Jo-han line ??? Do I start with your favorites or from the beginning ? And I thought this job was going to be easy ...... what was I thinking ...... :o ?

Steve

Do I start with your favorites or from the beginning ?

Steve

Everything Johan ever did was my favorite! When I was a kid and Johan was active, I loved their kits! I wish all their old tooling still existed and some deep-pockets operation somehow managed to reissue all of their kits. Man, that would really be something! :D

Wow ...wouldn't that be something If I could help pull that off !!!! OK so counting Harry, (you're in for one of each right) all I need is another 4,999 or so die-hard and dedicated Johan fans, assuming I got that in the bag and I brought back 6 kits a year, I wonder how long it would take to re-run the whole Jo-han line ??? Do I start with your favorites or from the beginning ? And I thought this job was going to be easy ...... what was I thinking ...... :o ?

Steve

If in fact all/most of the original tooling still exists (I have heard that it's gone), I don't think there would be any problem selling 5000 of each reissue!

You can put me down for at least one of each ;)

If in fact all/most of the original tooling still exists (I have heard that it's gone), I don't think there would be any problem selling 5000 of each reissue!

Dittoes!

I'm well on the way to that point, anyway! Preorders in for everything that's been half-way seriously hinted about!

Everything Johan ever did was my favorite! When I was a kid and Johan was active, I loved their kits! I wish all their old tooling still existed and some deep-pockets operation somehow managed to reissue all of their kits. Man, that would really be something! :D

The technology is out there to reverse engineer practically any Johan kit ever made so it really doesn't matter if the tooling exist or not. It all comes down to the numbers. What will it cost and how many can you sell? I honestly think the numbers are at least close to do-able although probably in the same range as all new tooling. So which would you rather have? An exact copy of the original Johan 63 Dodge Polara kit or all new tooling of a 65 Plymouth Belvedere ??? (just some random picks ..... I admit I do happen to like B-body Mopars)

I bet I got you guys thinking now don't I .......?

I've had a few talks with Okey Spaulding about reissues. If the molds were useable and complete they have more than likely been reissued. He had no clue as to what he was buying as well as the overall poor condition of the molds. The Maverick wasn't economically feasible to be re-issued due to damaged or incomplete molds and licensing fees. The Mustang funny car was missing the chrome tree. He did do some test shots of the non chrome and I bought three or so of those. They were better than most of the original Jo-han pieces. If Seville didn't re-issue it, Johan (new spelling) doesn't have it. One of the weird things about this business is that while we refer to kits as Jo-han, the owner of the mold is free to use it irregardless of who created the mold. The interesting legal question I would have is if you reverse engineered from a Jo-han kit, would you be violating a copyright that is now owned by Mr. Spaulding. I think we're truly lucky that the AMT and MPC molds survived. We aren't that lucky concerning Jo-han. What I'd like to see is the Jo-han bodies and engines (they were typically excellent) merged with better interiors (truly hit or miss) and chassis.

Personally, a fresh, new tooling of anything is better than anything Johan made other than the Chrysler Turbine car. Would I like a '65 or '66 Satellite (Belvedere) or Coronet would be awesome. But I also think some different cars (like the Hudson or the C300 coming out are cool too. IF you are really looking to tool something, any big Plymouth or Dodge from 1955-1963 would be very welcome. Something that would allow for different variations without a complete retool (I.E., 1957 Fury that can be the basis for a '58 and '59). A 1963 Dodge Polara which can use the B-Body platform on numerous other B-Bodies (I would love to see a '62 Fury).

Oh, I've joked about this a couple times, but...a Studebaker would be cool. Maybe another '59 or '60 Lark? Or dare I hold my breath and anyone make a '64-'66 Lark type (maybe a Daytona???). A detailed '56-'58 Golden Hawk? That G/H could be the basis of a '58 Packard Hawk(?).

Edited by Swifster

What I'd like to see is the Jo-han bodies and engines (they were typically excellent) merged with better interiors (truly hit or miss) and chassis.

That is perhaps my #1 gripe with Jo-Han kits (the second being glass so thick it could seemingly withstand a direct hit from a 12-gauge) is the shallow interor tubs. If it would be at all possible to tool up new, better detailed tubs, perhaps even with separate seats and consoles where applicable, that would be a huge plus in my book, and would no doubt tempt me to buy more from them than if they were straight repops with the original, shallow tubs. Keep the dashes, though- Jo-Han dashes were just as good as anything from the period, and still hold up well today. I'd still be very interested with the original shallow tubs, or no tub at all, but I guess we'll see what the market will bear out.

Personally, a fresh, new tooling of anything is better than anything Johan made other than the Chrysler Turbine car. Would I like a '65 or '66 Satellite (Belvedere) Oh, I've joked about this a couple times, but...a Studebaker would be cool. Maybe another '59 or '60 Lark? Or dare I hold my breath and anyone make a '64-'66 Lark type (maybe a Daytona???). A detailed '56-'58 Golden Hawk? That G/H could be the basis of a '58 Packard Hawk(?).

I'd be all for a Stude kit or ten. I hope that infamous list Moebius has had a Bullet Nose on it- if the Hudson and Chrysler do well, maybe that will be their next project... :rolleyes: I'd be happy just to have the Lark back (out of scale or not), and if they could expand or create tooling for other variants, so much the better. I'd really love to have a Champ pickup, as I've all but given up on ever finding a Premiere kit in workable condition for a less-than-stroke-inducing price.

If yer as old as me , you might re- call articles in the 1-1 magazines with Budd Anderson telling us of a company called Industriomotive Cooperation, ( I M C ) He was telling us of real kool kits to come , I. E , Ford G T and of course Bill Geary and My favorite , the Cougar II. I M C shot it self in the foot with their "Fitment " issues . The overall engraving and the subject matter was great , given the technology we had then . I would love for someone to make the "Out of the Box automobile subjects we have seen in Die- Cast , one can only wish .......................... Ed Shaver

Bear in mind guys: Any reissue of an older kit (and consider that there are model kit tools out there by the hundreds, literally!) will have tooling technology from a time period 40-50 years ago, and it's virtually impossible at anything like a reasonable cost to change them.

So, when looking at a kit that comes from tooling that old, be a bit gentle--you get what the toolmakers saw as possible decades ago, why cry about that, huh?

Now, if anyone here wants to pony up a hundred grand or more for a new tool of any of the subjects mentioned....be my guest!

Art

The technology is out there to reverse engineer practically any Johan kit ever made so it really doesn't matter if the tooling exist or not. It all comes down to the numbers. What will it cost and how many can you sell? I honestly think the numbers are at least close to do-able although probably in the same range as all new tooling. So which would you rather have? An exact copy of the original Johan 63 Dodge Polara kit or all new tooling of a 65 Plymouth Belvedere ??? (just some random picks ..... I admit I do happen to like B-body Mopars)

I bet I got you guys thinking now don't I .......?

If there is enough money to do any engineering, then lets do it up right. Correct the shallow tubs, thick glass, etc.

As for what cars to kit, I would think a sure bet would be any Cadillac. A mid sixtees hearse, or the '61, '63, or '65 coupe.

OK, this is what I want to know.

- What is going to be reissued?

- Who do I have to contact to get on the waiting list now?

- What is the paypal address I have to send an advance payment to?

There are a few more technical questions, if I may.

- It always was my understanding, that the remaining inventory ended up with Okey Spaulding. Is, or is this not the case?

- Aren't Jo-Han molds made in a rather unconventional way, in so far as there are two so-called 'hobs' into which mold inserts have to be - well - inserted. The molds made up of those hobs with their inserts are not working in standard molding machines. Is this correct, or not?

- Isn't what I just described the primary reason so few models were reissued by X-El, rather than molds being incomplete? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but more than a few people have not suceeded to combine the mold pieces in a useable way. What makes you sure that you will succeed?

Please understand that the latter questions are just based on mixed information I have from various sources. I may sound a tad impatient, but I wanted to ask these questions for the better part of 20 years now and might be overly excited to potentially finally have found the person who can answer them.

I do understand that you have quite a few advances to pay before anything gets rolling. What I wrote intitially is meant to be thaken seriously. I am willing and prepared to pay for the models now. I have paid and then waited years for models to arrive when Seville was still porducing X-ELs, so this is nothing new for me. I repeat, I have the money available now and would be prepared to place a paid pre-order.

Man, I wish I would have asked for a tour of the place when I had a chance. I've stopped by the original Jo-Han in the early 80's getting model lists and an actual promo or two. I might have to see if I can find the old address in Detroit and see what the building looks like now when I go home for X-mas.

Man, I wish I would have asked for a tour of the place when I had a chance. I've stopped by the original Jo-Han in the early 80's getting model lists and an actual promo or two. I might have to see if I can find the old address in Detroit and see what the building looks like now when I go home for X-mas.

The building has been knocked down long ago. Just look it up on Google Earth.

This was also discussed in this thread:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20855