Model Cars Magazine Forum

transtar 2 long and short wheelbase

When I back dated my Transtar 11 I used the aircan from the Astro as it was pretty close and for the bumper I used the Transtar 11 bumper, just cut it down and added some evergreen strip styrene to get the basic shape and contours of the co 4070Ahttp://transcon001.jpg

Did the cab enlarge or did just the BBC change? If they moved the bumper forward, that might account for the BBC? I'll have to go dig out the IH spec sheets..

To the best of my memory the extra 4" was to make the bunk a little roomier. The 84" cab has 4 grab handles on each side but the 88" version has 3 due to the sidebox door being further back. Overall the cab didn't seem to enlarge other than that.The Transtar series coe's weren't very roomy hence the 9600 series design. The IH coe had only minor evolution changes from the original 1965 CO4000 to the final Transtar2 1981.

When I back dated my Transtar 11 I used the aircan from the Astro as it was pretty close and for the bumper I used the Transtar 11 bumper, just cut it down and added some evergreen strip styrene to get the basic shape and contours of the co 4070Ahttp://transcon001.jpg

Excellent job! Just shows the change were just evolutionary beteeen the various years.

The hobby is different for each builder. Some builders have to build as accurate as they can. Another builder will build strictly box-stock, yet another will scratchbuild the entire model while another builder wires and plumbs the model. Another modeler will weather the model to look aged. It is all in how YOU want to build it. and the look you are attempting to capture. To quote the late Phil Jensen, "I build the model so the model looks good on my shelf and in front of the lens."

Model building is a form of art expression and is not an exact science.

Tim

Exactly Tim. Interesting where this topic has gone from the original question.

Mike,

Nicely done !

Tim

Mike, that is a great looking Trash Can Barnyard Cadillac. Translation - TransCon International Harvester 4070A Cabover :) . Another item is the 9600 Series did away with the shift tower, which really helped in keeping noise and fumes out of the cab. That short gear shift in the 9600, did take a little time to get use to, but in the long run was worth it in my opinion. Also as mentioned above, the cab was a lot roomer, even though the top of the cab was just a few inches wider than the 4070A and Transtar II.

Edited by Rich_S

Guest Johnny

Man I'm in a state of indecision here. My first truck was a 4070A Transtar (as an O/O) and the last I drove was a 4070B Transtar II. Now I have to figure out which way I want to go with mine! :lol:

Great looking day cab Mike!

I built one a long time ago off a kit from KMart that had been resealed. Opened it and it had been painted and partially built with rear suspension parts missing. They wouldn't take it back so it ended up a daycab short wheel base like yours. That is a lot of time consuming work to get it to look right, so I can appreciate the effort that went into your build! B)

transtar ll is hands down my fav c/o 77-79 .... my father drove a 78' as akid i remember it bein high ,my dad had to lift me up.he'd bring her home id just n stare at her.loved how the air cleaner went how it curved above the cab.tim thnx for all the info on the older transtars i enjoyed reading it

now to find a transtar ll in 1/24 scale hmmmm....... lots of scratch building in my future .

farwaymodeltruckfleet

Did the cab enlarge or did just the BBC change? If they moved the bumper forward, that might account for the BBC? I'll have to go dig out the IH spec sheets..

these pics show the 84" and 88" cabs. The red and white truck is a 1980 with 88" cab The dk gray and white truck is a 1977 with 84" cab. (note the 84" cab has 4 grab handle while the 88" cab has 3)

Somewhere (its probably long gone by now) at my uncles house, my dad built the Transtar 4070w/ the Fruehauf Reefer. Built it in honor of my grandads 1,000,000 mile safe driver award (before interstates). No one made an Emeryville, so he used the Transtar. By far the coolest cabovers of my era!!!