Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Paul... Thanks my friend...  Yeah the photobucket thing gets old for sure. I may try the free account on Fotki and see if I like it.

Art... Thank Brother!! Yeah its going to be here before we know it and I need to get moving on a few things. I gotta get this one Finished up for sure.

Bob... Thank you.

Joe... Thanks but Uh Oh... I don't know if that is good or bad that I made you say a bad word... lol

Billy... Thank you. That would be pretty cool if it did run but not happening with this engine... haha

Dave... Thank you. Will you be able to make it out to DSC this year?

Brad... Thank you. I sure hope this thing doesn't have any oil leaks and leave a puddle on the Display table... LOL

Ken... Thank you sir... Wow you have me totally beat on rivets. Easily by 1000.. LOL. Yeah the ones in the Body Tin work will be visible.

Scott... Thank you my friend.

Tim F.... Thank you. I appreciate the kind words.

Tim H... Thanks Buddy!! Now If I can just keep the momentum going. I wanna get this thing done so bad.

Niko... Thank you very much for the kind words my friend. You know I am trying my best to make it look just like the 1:1 but It will never be exact.

Danno... Huh?? :unsure:

Seth... Thank you... Me Too... LOL

Edgar... Thank you. I will tell you this much this braided line is a pain in the butt just like the 1:1's to install into the A/N Fittings. I don't know how many times I had to trim the end because I kept getting a few strands not wanting to go into the A/N fitting....lol

Dave... Thanks my friend... The fun is coming back on this being able to see all of the hard work coming together during the assembly.

Tim... Your wish is my command.... haha... Hang tight and I will have an update for ya ;)

Alright Fellas... Per Tim's request...Here is an Update for ya.... I have made a little more headway on the build.... Baby steps but these little baby steps are starting to turn into milestones. So I messed around some more with the engine, specifically the Headers. I did a little weathering with them, then ran into some troubles which I had to fix and in the mean time I decided that I needed as set of Copper gaskets. So I just had to make them.....

So here is the Copper Head gaskets that started out from a 3x5 card. I know the inside looks crappy but I wanted to be able to have an area where the epoxy would be able to bond the header to the heads. I traced the header flange on a 3x5 car, cut it out and then transfered the holes, then painted with Tamiya Copper paint:

DP-Army-Vega%207937-1_zpsfofxfqut.jpg

Then to go along with the headers, I just had to add a touch of weathering to them. I also noticed in one of the pictures that the inside of the headers had a little bit of rust to them from what I could see. Here is the pic and what I did to the headers:

original pic of the car

Army-27copy_zps98e57f5b.jpg

Pic lightened up so you can see in the header pipes:

Army-27copytest_zps7eaa69b2.jpg

DP-Army-Vega%207938-1_zpsnotjoqva.jpg

The opposite side but I couldn't get the light to capture the rust color better:

DP-Army-Vega%207938B-1_zpsnozghfsj.jpg

Here is the Heads, Headers and Gasket laid out and ready to be installed.... well Glued  ;)

DP-Army-Vega%207939-1_zpsbnwxnfez.jpg

Here I have gotten the Header Bolts in place along with the Copper Gaskets so that it will be easier to line the bolts up to drilled holes in the heads.

DP-Army-Vega%207940-1_zpsr2snsfm0.jpgg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Well... Here are the Headers glued with 30 min epoxy to the heads:

DP-Army-Vega%207942-1_zpsie0eagin.jpgL]

Now here are a few shots trying to capture the gasket. I apologize for the crappy pics but it seems my camera wasn't wanting to focus on what I wanted it to....grrr...

Back Side:

Side view:

Edited by Mooneyzs

Pretty impressive Chris.  They look fantastic! 

I made out out last year..only I was late...they had already shut the room down for judging...so I just did a little shopping at the swap meet and then headed back home..But I plan on stopping by this year....Dont know if I will enter anything...I only have 2 new builds done  and dont know if my Willys Pickup will be done by then but we will see.  But I will be there  at some point!

Danno... I am surprised I have you speechless. We will see when DSC gets here.... ;)

Joe... Thanks buddy, I will be honest the only reason I tried to resemble the rust is because that I saw it in the pic or else I probably wouldn't of done it...lol

Dave... Thank you. That's great you will make it out. hopefully you will have your Willy's done by then. would love to say hi when you get there.

Mike.... Thanks, I have to admit that I am happy that I did the rust bit, I think it adds a tad bit of character to it.

John... Thanks Brother. Means a lot but I am sure there are many others can do way better.

Dave... Thank you my friend.

Well Fellas... I got a little bit of more progress completed. Now I had a little bit of a minor set back this week and was hoping to be farther along this weekend. I started out working on the oil pressure gauge got it made up and then completely screwed it up. So back to the drawing board it was. I made the oil pressure gauge from 3 pieces of brass tube soldered together, Then I used a Model Car garage photo-etch gauge set for the face and bezel ring. I wish it would of turned out just a little better but at this point I am happy as I can be because I don't want to keep redoing things.

Here is what the gauge looks like after it was glued in place. And Like a dumb dumb I totally forgot to take progress pics of how I made the gauge:

I had drilled the line in the block and used .5mm hex nut for the fitting and used some wire for the oil pressure line that I weathered just a tad bit:

Here is an up-close shot of the fitting:

After getting the oil pressure gauge installed it was time to install the head gaskets, heads and headers for the final time. I am pretty happy with how things are looking so far:

Opposite side, the braided line needs a tad bit of weathering in my opinion to just tone it down ever so slightly:

Mike... Thank you My friend.  I am making headway that's for sure.

Brad... Thanks... it feels great to be putting things together for the final time.

John... Thanks Brother, I have been trying hard to make it look as real as I can. It's not perfect but good enough at this point.

Hakan.... thank you

Bob... Thank you. it feels good to be making progress and I would just love to have it done for GSL.