Model Cars Magazine Forum

Even as a kid I never built any planes . My older brother did , but I always built cars . Somebody at work gave this Gee Bee Racer to me a few years ago , and I decided to do something with it .

It's a pretty simple kit and if it wasn't for the paint it could be built in about a half hour ! I added the wires on the wings with piano wire and added a small motor from Radio Shack . It also had more decals than I've ever put on a model !

I spent about a week on this and it was a lot of fun , but I'm sticking with the cars !

Edited by TooOld

• 4 months later...

Freaking great !! Is this the old Pyro / Lindberg 1/26 kit ?? (It's incorrectly listed as 1/32 but is in fact 1/26 if you scale the wings)

Great build. Paints dead-on.Killer planes from the Granville Brothers......literally.

Lots of bad-press from the fatal crashes, and the airplane was definitely a handful, but in the hands of a truly competent pilot like Jimmy Doolittle who said of it "This is the most delicate plane I have ever flown... The R model must be flown with silk gloves and likened to balancing a pencil at your fingers top." its performance was unrivalled at the time.

An exact copy, from the original blueprints, has been built and is flying in aerobatic displays with no 'killer' tendencies.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy