Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Buzz: New Pocher Kits

sjordan2

But where do you get the idea that they worked without licenses? Is that just a story you heard? I've never come across any mentions of anything like that. From everything I've found, they went bankrupt because they invested too much in their new kits (Ferraris and Porsche), the kits din't sell well, and everything just sort of spiraled down from there.

I got it from a Pocher guy who was a historian and collector of their kits.

Exactly. The first Pocher MB kit came out in 1975; Pocher didn't go bankrupt untill the mid "90s... plenty of time for the MB lawyers to have gotten on the case. I find it highly unlikely that MB allowed Pocher to produce and sell MB kits for 20 years if Pocher was doing it on the sly.

it was actually 1978.

Depends on the agreement. Tamiya got in trouble with ferrari and it took them a while to get straight with them after producing more kits than allowed per their agreement, which started the whole serialization Ferrari kits.

They went bankrupt supposed because of a fire at the production facility chopped their staff from 120 down to 30. Seems like they were having troubles long bofore that. Even in the Mercedes line of kits after KT91 had plastic wheels significanly reduced parts, chassis and brake details.

Doesn't really matter what happened to them.... lets see what happens to them now.

Yup! Got one of those...................... ;) Very detailed for its size.......has both the hardtop and the softtop!

PC284505-vi.jpg

I also got this 1:24 diecast.............although I can't remember who made it. I picked it up off eBay a couple years ago. I'd love to see a mainstream 1:24-25th plastic kit of this car however. Revell of Germany-----are you listening??

PC284506-vi.jpg

I'm REALLY curious as to what Pocher will announce next month. I had one of the 1:8 Mercedes kits, but I sold that one to Harry a few years ago. I'd like to try my hand at one, although they had a reputation for being notoriously fiddly! Not to mention, it would probably take me five years to finish it! :P

it was actually 1978.

Depends on the agreement. Tamiya got in trouble with ferrari and it took them a while to get straight with them after producing more kits than allowed per their agreement, which started the whole serialization Ferrari kits.

They went bankrupt supposed because of a fire at the production facility chopped their staff from 120 down to 30. Seems like they were having troubles long bofore that. Even in the Mercedes line of kits after KT91 had plastic wheels significanly reduced parts, chassis and brake details.

Doesn't really matter what happened to them.... lets see what happens to them now.

Your Pocher facts are different than those I've found researching Pocher.

The first Pocher MB kit (500 Cabriolet) came out in 1975, not 1978.

The fire occurred in 1972, but the factory was rebuilt. In 1981 Pocher became a wholly owned subsidiary of Rivarossi, and production moved from Turin to Como, Italy. Pocher went bankrupt in the mid '90s, twenty plus years after the fire in Turin. Obviously the fire wasn't the cause of the bankruptcy.

Hornby's Pocher site shows the 540K kit as coming out in 1978, but that doesn't necessarily mean that (as a 3rd-generation takeover company that inherited things) they've got all their facts straight. The 1978 Mercedes 540K link just says that they released a bunch of classics between 1978 and 1985.

Edited by sjordan2

It's been hard for me to piece together an accurate timeline... there is a lot of incomplete and/or conflicting information out there.

I base my dates on this translated history of Pocher, written by Giovanni Ingrao. According to this, the first MB kit was released in 1975.

Interestingly, he says the prototype for the KT62 was stolen, but it appears to have been a production rights issue with Mattel.

I read that none of the classic kits were produced after the fire, but agreed peicing it all together has been difficult

Nevertheless it will be interesting what turns up 2013

Well, comes to that, they're claiming the Fiat from '66 was the first 1/8 kit ever, when Monogram had them beaten to that punch by a few years.

Nevertheless, this is great to see! Got visions of sub-$1900 Rolls Ambassadors and Bugatti Surprofiles dancing in my head, and I might like another swing at the F40 and TR... B)

Well, comes to that, they're claiming the Fiat from '66 was the first 1/8 kit ever, when Monogram had them beaten to that punch by a few years.

Nevertheless, this is great to see! Got visions of sub-$1900 Rolls Ambassadors and Bugatti Surprofiles dancing in my head, and I might like another swing at the F40 and TR... B)

They say that it was their first 1/8 scale kit, not the first 1/8 scale kit.

Hmmm... you're right! But I assume that's a typo, they undoubtedly mean their first 1/8 scale kit, not the first. Surely they know about the old Monogram kits. But either way, a minor point... and in their defense, it's not Pocher that put up the website, but Hornby. But all that aside, let's hope their announcement isn't a big letdown.