Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lindberg Philly P.D. Charger preview

SteveG

..... here's some photos of the Philly PD box art model. This was built from a 98% production ready test shot. I'm waiting on a Lindberg to make a couple of very minor fixes to the tooling and it will get my blessing to go with it.

Philly01-vi.jpg

Philly03-vi.jpg

Philly13-vi.jpg

Philly06-vi.jpg

Philly08-vi.jpg

All the Charger Police Car kits will have the same basic equipment and you choose which parts to install. There will be two sets of side mirrors, deck lamps, push bar and lamps, 2 chrome spot lights, two sets of wheels (three with the leftover Super Bee wheels) stock or prisoner rear seats and a prisoner divider. Also a Radio Equipment console and the correct dash mounted shifter. Oh yea, 8 different lightbars. Only the decals will be and box art will be different. The blank car is supposed to get some generic police decals too.

I believe the leftover stock console and floor shifter will also will be included for those who want to build a soft unit or a civilian car. Separate door side mouldings are included too.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

Steve, any close up pics of the interior equipment?

Dave

Sure .... here ya go ....

Picture025-vi.jpg

Picture042-vi.jpg

This is with the full equipment minus the deck lamps, the stock rear seat is included for those cruisers which don't use the molded prisoner seat.

-Steve

thanks for the pics! the interior is very nicely done. this should be a very fun kit to do

does the spotlight look off becuase of the angle it's coming out on the model? the shaft through the A pillar is typically parallel to the ground, on the model it's sticking up at an angle.

Dave

I think part of it is the angle the spotlights are molded at, it also may be up a little high on the windshield post. The good part is there is no location hole so you can mount it where you want. Here's a photo of my CHP "Ghost Charger" I used the side mirror as my reference point for mounting the spotlights. Since it's not being used as box art I was able to add some extra details like the antennas and a push bar mounted siren.

Picture181-vi.jpg

Picture183-vi.jpg

Note how much nicer the production hub caps look compared to the first prototypes on the CHP model.

Picture191-vi.jpg

-Steve

Those look awesome Steve! I need to pick me up 1 or 2.... or 6.... or 12.... maybe a couple dozen perhaps? B)

I just wish someone would come out with a plastic kit of the Ford P.I. as well detailed as those. I would love to build a replica of my 1:1.

Edited by Custom Hearse

I have never seriously considered building police cruisers but after seeing what Lindberg has going here, plus the fact the Portland has changed over to the Chargers, I can very well see 1 or 2 of these hitting the bench in the not to distant future.

Thanks again for sharing the pics and info!! Are the plain cars going to be unpainted? Are any of them supposed to be painted?

Looks like they didn't change much in the engine? Is that the same intake plenum as the SRT?

Philly06-vi.jpg

copchargermotor.jpg

Edited by blubaja

Thanks again for sharing the pics and info!! Are the plain cars going to be unpainted? Are any of them supposed to be painted?

Looks like they didn't change much in the engine? Is that the same intake plenum as the SRT?

As far as I know they will all be molded in white and unpainted just like the Super Bee kits. The engine is the 5.7 litre just like in the Testors RT kits. I left the dress up cover off as that's how most of the Police Package cars are equipped. The cover is included for those who want to use it.

-Steve

Hi Steve. Any ideas on the release date. I have 3 on order to start. My dad patroled i-95 for many years in x23. Back then it was a Plymouth Fury. Also as of last year philadelphia highway patrol has been pulled off of the highways and replaceed with the Pennsylvania State Police. They are now doing patrols in high crime areas/narcotics.

Hi Steve. Any ideas on the release date. I have 3 on order to start. My dad patroled i-95 for many years in x23. Back then it was a Plymouth Fury. Also as of last year philadelphia highway patrol has been pulled off of the highways and replaceed with the Pennsylvania State Police. They are now doing patrols in high crime areas/narcotics.

I work all up and down the stretch of 95 where you still see some city expressway cops. Mostly only around center city. And yea, the rest are the stateies with the crown vics. I wish they just did regular city patrol cars with the decals that go from front to back.

Greg,

Hopefully by late this fall if all goes well, the tooling is 98% approved and ready. They're down to the box art and decals etc ... If there's room I'll try to get them to add some additonal numbers to the decal sheet like X23. If not, Billbozo decals has it on his Philly sheet which worked great for me.

If you have any photos of your Dad's old patrol cars I would love to see them.

Steve

I work all up and down the stretch of 95 where you still see some city expressway cops. Mostly only around center city. And yea, the rest are the stateies with the crown vics. I wish they just did regular city patrol cars with the decals that go from front to back.

Now that a new Police Car kit is almost here hopefully the Aftermarket guys will step up with new decals sheets to use with them.

Steve

Now that a new Police Car kit is almost here hopefully the Aftermarket guys will step up with new decals sheets to use with them.

Steve

Steve... toady while out I spotted a PSP Dodge Charger Slick top. It was marked on the side like a CV but no light bar... Very sharp.... and New to me as They must have just started using them.... It was Near Bethlehem PA and ill have to stop by the office to get some Photos.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the info.

I do have a assortment of pics I would be honored to post. They are all old photos in albums that I will work on scanning. Also have some motorcycle pics.

As I mentioned highway patrol was always an "elite" unit that worked high crime areas,riots etc. My Dad was at two MOVE incidents and so forth.

At one time Frank Rizzo was the Mayor and HP were his goons so to speak They had a 6' height requirement and had different uniforms that resembled the Gestapo with jack boots and leather jackets. Also they were allowed to carry their own firearms so whe .38 specials were the norm a lot of guys on the unit had nickel plated magnums. They were an intimadating bunch.

My Dad was on patrol from 71-93(the city was broke and offered early retirement instead of layoffs).

Sorry for the long story if its of no interest and I understand its french to people not familar to phila and our history. I will work on pics. And thanks again.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for all the info.

I do have a assortment of pics I would be honored to post. They are all old photos in albums that I will work on scanning. Also have some motorcycle pics.

As I mentioned highway patrol was always an "elite" unit that worked high crime areas,riots etc. My Dad was at two MOVE incidents and so forth.

At one time Frank Rizzo was the Mayor and HP were his goons so to speak They had a 6' height requirement and had different uniforms that resembled the Gestapo with jack boots and leather jackets. Also they were allowed to carry their own firearms so whe .38 specials were the norm a lot of guys on the unit had nickel plated magnums. They were an intimadating bunch.

My Dad was on patrol from 71-93(the city was broke and offered early retirement instead of layoffs).

Sorry for the long story if its of no interest and I understand its french to people not familar to phila and our history. I will work on pics. And thanks again.

That's some great background information on the Philly PD, thanks for sharing !!! If you don't have one already, get yourself a free photo sharing account with Fotki, Flickr or one of the many others to upload your scanned photos to.

-Steve