Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aoshima 20" BBS LM wheel and tire set

Waiting for me on the front porch today was my pre-order from Hobby World Japan of SIX sets of Aoshima's new 20" BBS LM wheel and tire sets.

100_2360-vi.jpg

These babies are pure sex!!! Beautiful satin chrome finish with deeper rims for the rear wheels. Separate rims allow easy painting of the spokes.

100_2361-vi.jpg

100_2362-vi.jpg

Unfortunately, Aoshima did not include the wider rear tires that came in the last series of 20" sets.

100_2363-vi.jpg

If you keep the supplied tires for the rears, you will have to trim the back of the rims flush with the tires. But there is a ready aftermarket solution. The OD of these wheels is fractionally larger than Pegasus 23" wheels, so Pegasus 23" tires fit like a champ and are wide enough to fill the rim width.

100_2364-vi.jpg

One more thing...the design of the spoked section of these wheels are identical to Aoshima's vintage 18" BBS LM wheels, only larger. I just happen to have a few sets of the 18" LM's in my collection. Can you say..."big and littles"?

Enjoy!!!

very nice. is aoshima the type of co. that will rectify the lack of rear tire width?

Don't know, don't care. Just glad to have these and if you ask Crispy about my own personal "Tire Rack", I've got tires to fix the problem. If necessary, I have enough extra Aoshoma tires that I could cut two tires apart and make one wide one. But the Pegasus are just the ticket and if I choose to go big and little with 18" LM's, I can use Pegasus 19" tires on the front for a matching set.

As Marc mentioned the Pegasus tires work perfectly on them if need be. I'm surprised they didn't offer the wider tire, but it bothers me not.

And Folks, Marc has THE tire and wheel stash you can only dream of having. I'm getting closer with over 50 plus sets, but Marc's got some stuff that isn't made anymore.

Gotta get these wheels when they are released or you could miss out and I can guarantee when the Aoshima wheels are gone they are GONE!

Chris

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!................

Excuse me I'm hyperventilating :lol:

BTW Marc, how many kits did you open today, to see on which one(s) the rims would fit the best... :lol:

Actually. none. After three weeks of back to school activities, including moving the oldest back to college last weekend, I've just vegged all day. In my mind, I've opened plenty. :P

As Marc mentioned the Pegasus tires work perfectly on them if need be. I'm surprised they didn't offer the wider tire, but it bothers me not.

And Folks, Marc has THE tire and wheel stash you can only dream of having. I'm getting closer with over 50 plus sets, but Marc's got some stuff that isn't made anymore.

Gotta get these wheels when they are released or you could miss out and I can guarantee when the Aoshima wheels are gone they are GONE!

Chris

Chris,

I just did a quick count, and I have at least 130 sets of Aoshima and Fujimi wheel sets. :lol::lol::P

I've bought 20 new sets this summer including the six sets of BBS LM's I got yesterday. Guess I better get busy building and use some of them.

Marc

Marc.. You should see about getting a set of the 23" aggressive pegasus tires.. There a little taller sidewall then those 23s and have a great tread pattern. Would really set off the big and little concept.

Marc not have those wheels! HA, surely you jest! Really though, if he hasn't got them I'll be happy to post my set after I get back from the car show.

Marc, you are the supreme wheel slut... My measly collection just cannot compare.

Chris

Marc,

I see Fujimi has a set of 20" BBS LMs also. You wouldn't happen to have those to for a comparison would you? I'm looking to pick up a set of one or the other for a Camaro that's next up on my bench.

Fujimi's 20" BBS aren't LM's. They are just called BBS. Here's some comparison pics with the new Aoshimas.

100_2365-vi.jpg

Fujimi's are on the right. They are one piece, chrome plated and much larger than the Aoshima rims.

100_2366-vi.jpg

100_2367-vi.jpg

They are a great size for the new AMT Dodge Challenger and similar modern kits, as well as 1:24 scale muscle cars.

100_2316-vi.jpg

I have a set earmarked for my Johan '72 Torino.

Marc

Well I debated on the wheels but since they look soo Good compared to the Fujimis.

I ordered 2 sets from HWJAPAN. :lol:

has anybody else ordered from them?

how are they?

They are great! I like them better than HLJ simply because pricing is a bit better and you collect points to redeem against future purchases. They ship just as quick as HLJ does. Customer service is very good as well. I've pretty well switched all my Japanese buying to them now.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
They are great! I like them better than HLJ simply because pricing is a bit better and you collect points to redeem against future purchases. They ship just as quick as HLJ does. Customer service is very good as well. I've pretty well switched all my Japanese buying to them now.

Chris

Same here; HLJ has lost some of its luster to me. You guys have nice wheels. :)

I'll have to give HW a try...been buying from HLJ since around 2000. I've bought from Hobby Search (another Japanese dealer) once or twice. I've also bought Aoshima wheel sets from Model Express.

As far as today, I got an email notification that the Fujimi BBS wheels shipped from HLJ.