Model Cars Magazine Forum

Figure detail and attachment

m408

Making good progress on my used car lot "semi diorama", thanks to much help and advice from all of you, but now have another area of "help required".

Got my shipment of resin people (didn't realize they were that small). I'm having a heck of a time removing mold lines and defining small details, such as fingers, ears, etc... Tried super sharp hobby knife blades and real thin sandpaper, but still not happy with the results. Suggestions?

Also, what is the best way to attach figures to a base. I'm using a 1/8" poster board base with space underneath it. I would like to attach the figures with an option of moving them at a later date. My first thought was to insert pins in the bottom of the feet and drill like size holes in the base. Would make for a simple repair if I want to move them. Any thoughts?

We have been useing clothing pins and needles cut to length in all of the figures in our club diorama's regardless of base material. The holes are pretty hard to notice, the tiniest drop of paint would make them disappear. We even map ours out when we tear it down to speed reassembly, yet we always end up drilling a hole or two each time we set up.

I have yet to prep a resin figure, all mine are pre painted and I just change some things,paint details, decals on shirts, etc. I use mini (riffler) files and sanding sticks, available from your LHS, for cleanup on most everything I do build, I can't get by without them. I also use a used #11 exacto blade an awful lot, for scraping, not slicing, while shaping and removing mold lines. That's all I have for now, hope this helps.

We have been useing clothing pins and needles cut to length in all of the figures in our club diorama's regardless of base material. The holes are pretty hard to notice, the tiniest drop of paint would make them disappear. We even map ours out when we tear it down to speed reassembly, yet we always end up drilling a hole or two each time we set up.

I have yet to prep a resin figure, all mine are pre painted and I just change some things,paint details, decals on shirts, etc. I use mini (riffler) files and sanding sticks, available from your LHS, for cleanup on most everything I do build, I can't get by without them. I also use a used #11 exacto blade an awful lot, for scraping, not slicing, while shaping and removing mold lines. That's all I have for now, hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Source for pre painted figures? Also looking for a cola machine. I saw one somewhere but can't find it again.

hi milt...here is web site that has lots of diorama stuff not sure about coke machine im still searching for u

http://www.scalemodelingbychris.com ....as 4 cleaning the figures...dont be to worried about the hands and small stuff like that just do best u can after u paint them they still look good.. neal

ps here is a better site.... http://www.seltd.net/

Edited by outlaw035

hi milt...here is web site that has lots of diorama stuff not sure about coke machine im still searching for u

http://www.scalemodelingbychris.com ....as 4 cleaning the figures...dont be to worried about the hands and small stuff like that just do best u can after u paint them they still look good.. neal

Thanks Neal.

I got the "fast eddy" used car lot facade from scale modeling. Just the facade because it's going into kind of a corner location (used to be where I kept my wine rack in my living room).

Yep, I have found out that from anything further away than under a 2x magnifier, the figures look good, even without super detail before paint. I guess I am going back to my old school days of building 1:1 street rods where we treated every part as if it was a hood ornament. If it could be seen it should be perfect. Kind of tough with this little bitty stuff.

Anyhow, going to check out seltd. When I started this project, it was only because I was running out of room on my book shelves and wanted a place to put my, not show quality, but O.K. cars. Now I'm getting all involved with this new, at least to me, phase of model building. Looking at figures, office equipment, etc... Why didn't someone warn me that it could be so addicting? I have 3 more car kits that have been put aside so that I can finish this.

Again, thanks for your help. You among others have been a great source for hints and ideas.

Milt

Thanks Neal.

I got the "fast eddy" used car lot facade from seld. Just the facade because it's going into kind of a corner location (used to be where I kept my wine rack in my living room).

Yep, I have found out that from anything further away than under a 2x magnifier, the figures look good, even without super detail before paint. I guess I am going back to my old school days of building 1:1 street rods where we treated every part as if it was a hood ornament. If it could be seen it should be perfect. Kind of tough with this little bitty stuff.

Anyhow, going to check out some other sites. When I started this project, it was only because I was running out of room on my book shelves and wanted a place to put my, not show quality, but O.K. cars. Now I'm getting all involved with this new, at least to me, phase of model building. Looking at figures, office equipment, etc... Why didn't someone warn me that it could be so addicting? I have 3 more car kits that have been put aside so that I can finish this.

Again, thanks for your help. You among others have been a great source for hints and ideas.

Milt

Hi.....m408....now you understand my ''Diorama Syndrome'' it never ends , you are welcome. I have a few dioramas that have one or two years of building and seems as if it will never end. I use white Elmers Glue for figures that will be over cardboard or foamboard . If the surface is plastic I use a small amount of Crazy Glue . Now, if I will move the figures , I use ''MiniHold'' transparent tacky wax adhesive item number #EX0140 , from Scenic Express. Keep up the Diorama building, it is the best hobby addiction of the world..................Be Happy......Barbo.

Found my coke machine at seld. They have a huge selection.

Hi.....m408....now you understand my ''Diorama Syndrome'' it never ends , you are welcome. I have a few dioramas that have one or two years of building and seems as if it will never end. I use white Elmers Glue for figures that will be over cardboard or foamboard . If the surface is plastic I use a small amount of Crazy Glue . Now, if I will move the figures , I use ''MiniHold'' transparent tacky wax adhesive item number #EX0140 , from Scenic Express. Keep up the Diorama building, it is the best hobby addiction of the world..................Be Happy......Barbo.

Hey Miguel.

Thanks for the response, and again, thanks to all of you for your help.

A couple of questions. Will white glue work on resin figures? Where can I find the the MiniHold? And, how do you think double back scotch tape might work?

Hi..m408..I have used white glue for resin figures but not over a plastis base , but white glue holds great on a cardboord base .The Scotch double tape dries and the figure falls by it self. You can get MiniHold at www.scenicexpress.com this company have great accesories for N,HO and O scale , but most of there accesories can be used for other scales . Get in the site and ask for there big catalog . They are very responsible........Be Happy...........Barbo.

I got most of my prepainted figures a few years ago. We use multiples of the same figure on our diorama's, changing colors of shirt, hair, shoes,etc. and putting some space between them .Look closely at the "Where were you in 72 " post, a few pairs of duplicate figures on here.

Fast and Furious figures that came with diecast vehicles, 1/25 and 1/64 both had 1/25th figures. Of course some come with no figure at all so make sure you are not ordering one of these. These are from a few years ago, I got all mine on clearance when they were retired from store shelves, some searching might turn a few up now. I found 5-6 guys and a couple girls. All kind of generic, just standing there, but they look good and fill space nicely. These are a softer plastic, and I haven't tried to modify any of these, except for paint, and removing the molded on base.

Some other 1/25 diecast's I found were:

Vanishing point Challenger W/Kowalski holding beverage

American Graffiti 55 Chevy W/Falfa sitting reaching out window

" " Milner coupe W/ Milner leaning with foot on tire, this one still eludes me

I think there's one with a carhop, and one with Toad's "date", I can't remember her name, guess I know what I'm watching tonite while I build.

Route 66 TV show gold Corvette W/two seated figures

There is a 1/64 Graffiti car (maybe others too)with a 1/25 Toad figure, not sure which car though

A few model kits of the recent past came with figures too. These are a harder material, pretty sure some aren't even plastic. I did modify one to sit in a car, cut with a razor saw and used super glue, and putty. Here are the kits I can remember coming with figures:

68 Dodge Dart with Dick Landy standing

427 Cobra with Carol Shelby sitting on wall, Ken Miles sitting in car W/helmet on

Hurst Hairy Olds W/Linda Vaughn standing waving

Jingle Jim Funny car W/ Jim and Pam standing

Tom Daniel Paddy Wagon W/ keystone kops, but they are a little cartoonish

Chapparal 2D(?) W/driver figure wearing helmet, might be Ken Miles from the Cobra, I never checked.

I know there are more out there that I'm not remembering, I'll post any as memory serves.

Here's Dick Landy modified to sit with arm on window sill, oh yeah, his legs are real short now :D , but you have to look real close to notice..

024_24-1.jpg

026_26-1.jpg

BTW Let's see some progress pics of your diorama.

I got most of my prepainted figures a few years ago. We use multiples of the same figure on our diorama's, changing colors of shirt, hair, shoes,etc. and putting some space between them .Look closely at the "Where were you in 72 " post, a few pairs of duplicate figures on here.

Fast and Furious figures that came with diecast vehicles, 1/25 and 1/64 both had 1/25th figures. Of course some come with no figure at all so make sure you are not ordering one of these. These are from a few years ago, I got all mine on clearance when they were retired from store shelves, some searching might turn a few up now. I found 5-6 guys and a couple girls. All kind of generic, just standing there, but they look good and fill space nicely. These are a softer plastic, and I haven't tried to modify any of these, except for paint, and removing the molded on base.

Some other 1/25 diecast's I found were:

Vanishing point Challenger W/Kowalski holding beverage

American Graffiti 55 Chevy W/Falfa sitting reaching out window

" " Milner coupe W/ Milner leaning with foot on tire, this one still eludes me

I think there's one with a carhop, and one with Toad's "date", I can't remember her name, guess I know what I'm watching tonite while I build.

Route 66 TV show gold Corvette W/two seated figures

There is a 1/64 Graffiti car (maybe others too)with a 1/25 Toad figure, not sure which car though

A few model kits of the recent past came with figures too. These are a harder material, pretty sure some aren't even plastic. I did modify one to sit in a car, cut with a razor saw and used super glue, and putty. Here are the kits I can remember coming with figures:

68 Dodge Dart with Dick Landy standing

427 Cobra with Carol Shelby sitting on wall, Ken Miles sitting in car W/helmet on

Hurst Hairy Olds W/Linda Vaughn standing waving

Jingle Jim Funny car W/ Jim and Pam standing

Tom Daniel Paddy Wagon W/ keystone kops, but they are a little cartoonish

Chapparal 2D(?) W/driver figure wearing helmet, might be Ken Miles from the Cobra, I never checked.

I know there are more out there that I'm not remembering, I'll post any as memory serves.

Here's Dick Landy modified to sit with arm on window sill, oh yeah, his legs are real short now ;) , but you have to look real close to notice..

024_24-1.jpg

026_26-1.jpg

BTW Let's see some progress pics of your diorama.

Thanks for the help Rob. I have just about exhausted most "normal" sources, but still scrounging around toys, craft stores etc...

Would love to post some pics but, no camera and wouldn't know how to do it anyhow. Hopefully, when I get done, I'll borrow a camera and get someone to help me get them on line.

Thanks for the help Rob. I have just about exhausted most "normal" sources, but still scrounging around toys, craft stores etc...

Would love to post some pics but, no camera and wouldn't know how to do it anyhow. Hopefully, when I get done, I'll borrow a camera and get someone to help me get them on line.

Just re-visited the 72 diorama and added a response as to what I was doing. A quick comment. I'm doing my best to get into pre-school, while you and your club have P.H.D.s