Model Cars Magazine Forum

10 years dem brakes lasted. 10 years...

The other day I was riding Little Red, my 10-Year-Old Honda Recon, and the back brakes locked up in the middle of the road. I pulled it back into the backyard-ish area of my friends house, his dad is a mechanic, and the loosened them up to where I could take it home. Then my dad and I looked at it today, and the brake pad, that was supposed to be 1 piece, came apart into 4 pieces. So now we have to order a new brake pad for the rear. Just last month we took it to the ATV shop and they bled it and it had almost new brakes again. Now it will have new, rear, brakes. Everything is O.K. though, just new brakes coming in. 10 years, 10 years...

Yes, <---------- the 4 wheeler in my picture is Little Red, my Honda 250 Recon, from 2002/2001.

This is cool isn't it? My last car bought, I changed the brakes on the front only, and proceded to drive the thing for 10 years before I changed them again!

The only reason I changed them after the ten years was because the rear brakes were starting to leak, and get wore out. It went 63 miles a day to work and back!

Dave

Somewhat of a funny topic on a model car forum, but since it's here! I've got eight years and 218,068 miles on the brakes of my '04 Envoy! I told my mechanic at the GMC dealer last spring that whatever break pads were used from the factory. I wanted them again!

Noticed a little squeak over the week-end. So I guess my time has run out.

I've had to do the front pads on my 14 year old XJ a few times over the last 8.6 years, the rotors were replaced twice (under recall at 66,600, then again north of 140k) but with it nearing 157k.....it's probably about time to replace the factory installed rear brakes..... Luckily I bought the parts to replace all but the parking brake cable (which we should probably do to...) and backing plates a few years back. Now that I have my 200, we can take the Jeep off the road for however long it takes instead of trying to hammer through it as quick as possible so I have it to drive to work the next day.

I've still got the original shoes on the rear of my 96 suburban. I'm the original owner so I know for sure. More amazing to me is I just recently had the original OEM plugs replaced with 208,000 miles on them Not in bad shape considering the mileage.

DSC05000.jpg

DSC04998.jpg

Last year I replace the battery on my Cherokee XJ, after 10years!!! Pretty amazing!

The one in mine is #3 since I bought it in '03, the one that was in it when I bought it looked to be factory and was replaced in '04 when I decided it was old enough that it might not last the winter and my last battery was in the same shape when I bought the newest one.

Last year I replace the battery on my Cherokee XJ, after 10years!!! Pretty amazing!

Wow...the first battery in my Grand Cherokee lasted 4 years, but after moving to AZ I replace the battery every 2 years.

Edited by Rob Hall

Wow...the first battery in my Grand Cherokee lasted 4 years, but after moving to AZ I replace the battery every 2 years.

Must be a whole lot better climate the the ones we live in Rob! The climate here can be all over the place througout the year, must just be the heat out your way.

Must be a whole lot better climate the the ones we live in Rob! The climate here can be all over the place througout the year, must just be the heat out your way.

Yeah, the dreadful AZ heat. Can't wait to get out of here for good..100 degrees already in April.

Yeah, they just slow you down... B)

Sounds like typical Jeep brakes, they just slow you down, not necessarily stop you.....especially with their early ABS system :P

That said, the brass 3 row radiator in mine decided to spring a leak and the shop I bought it at can't get them any more........guess it'll be going back to a stock aluminum and plastic replacement...........good thing those are only $120 I guess..........

Edited by Joe Handley