Model Cars Magazine Forum

How big is your work table ?

post-5775-0-44652000-1362271260_thumb.jp

Posted the size only a while ago it is 48" X 30", finally got things together the countertop is now mounted on the wall, shelving is hung, best of all I can build again!!! Still have to get my paint booth moved and set up, still operationa where it is at so it's a matter of getting in mounted to a a benchtop and temp ducting set up. I use formica sheet with dryer vent to exhaust the fumes which has worked out great in the past, just open the window put the formica in the window then shut it and shoot.

My wife and I traded our rooms, she needed a little more space for crafting and I got a perfect sized closet to hang my countertop in with two other 5 ft tables, one that I water color paint and another that I do smallish sign work and small pinstriping jobs on.

The next step is removing the carpeting and placing some decent engineered hardwood floors. I'e always wanted to do a room in hardwood that looked like it was a part of a basketball/sports court with the striping for the top of the key randomly placed in it. I've done full sized sport courts in the past and it's not hard, stripe, seal and finish.

Here's where my madness transpires. It's an old drafting table my dad rescued and has been with me since high school. I also find the machinist chest invaluable for storing everything from paint brushes to bare metal foil to French curves. I can keep tools separated in different draws according to their uses, cutting and drilling in one drawer, shaping and filing in one, tweezers and clamping in one, etc.

P1020020-vi.jpg

I started out working on a small TV tray table. Sometimes I still do that if I am watching a race, game or movie. I even sometimes sit on the floor and do it on the coffee table in the living room. I usually use the desk in our office/library area. Someday when the kids are gone, one of their rooms will be my work room. Until then, it'll have to be where ever I plop down and do it...lol.

Sixteen feet worth by two feet deep, made from a 4'X8' sheet of plywood ripped lengthwise on 4X4 legs. Yet by the time I have everything on it, I'm left with about one square foot of actual work area, which fills up fast. :wacko: You can never have enough work space... or storage space.

To echo many, not enough. I have one table 3' x 5', two others 2' x 4'. The big one has three tier shelving atatched with space for, "not even enough stuff". I have future plans for a 30" wide wrap around the room bench with tiered shelving and many pigeon holes for more stuff. In a year long effort to down size my main abode. Two empty nesters don't need 3500 sq. ft. anymore.

I have an old wood teacher's desk on one side of my hobby room (former bedroom) and an Ikea table on the other side. Both are full of stuff and messy of course! All four walls are adorned with Ikea shelves to hold mostly kits (about 600+) and some builds (lots started, not enough finished). However, these days I seem to build in the family room, in front of the big screen tv, using a portable computer desk and a couple of tv trays..( I like to spread things out!)

I had a pretty good worktop area when I started out in my Las Vegas home...but it soon got covered with "everything else". Two 30" X 96" tops, plus computer desk, plus a 24" X 60" side shelf became a holding area for everything that came into the room. :( I found myself taking my stuff out to the kitchen eating area table (36 X 72) to build on.....but you can imagine how that worked out. :P

So....with our move to NorCal I started over in my new hobby/office room. I built special shelving for all the built models and diecasts I like to display so I won't be tempted to put them on the "work" top surfaces. If I ever get everything finished, put away, put in place, and cleared off I'll be good to go. So far, I've set up a 75" X 30" primary worktop with shelving in front for tools and parts. Behind that (as I turn my chair around), I have a cool top space that's 36" X 49", supported by two 36 X 36 hobby desks that each have a full width drawer. I got these from Goodwill for about $15(?) each. They face each other so I can work from either side. Alongside that there is my computer desk (24" X 60") and an added top over shelves that's 18" X 60". That center-of-the-room area is a total of 29.5 square FEET. Does that sound like enough (total of 9 + 29.5 = 28.5 square feet...plus the individual shelves under and over).

So, the question is...........how long will it take to fill the top space with so much stuff that I can't build a model on any of it?

No pics yet, but I might take some of this evolving work in progress. If I can maintain any of my sanity while I figure out how to get this set up, I'll take a few pics as i go. It's a darn good thing I have a wife who acknowledges my need to be OCD about my work areas. Of course, there is a price. ;)

Edited by deja-view

I have alot of table space but the area for associated stuff is alot bigger. One area has about 30 moving boxes of models and diecasts, another is more boxes, maybe 30 more for G scale trains, 3 -6' tall 4' wide shelves, 2- 6'6' x 3' shelves, Craftsman work table , roll around 3 drawer cabinet, a 6'x3' storage cabinet, and that's not all. It's hideous. It grows a little every year. About every 6 to 8 months I spend a day organizing. At one point I spent 8 - 5 hr days touching everything in my basement and sorting and re arranging things to get to a basic giant basement set up for all my stuff. I have a big basement. It's the man cave but none of that decoration stuff. It's all good useable items. I don't keep 300 plastic milk jugs on the floor like a guy I know who's a hoarder. If the price is right I'll sell anything down there except a few of my guitars.

Hi everyone here is the joke of the day as of now while the weather is cold my work space is what used to be a keyboard shelf that sits over the restroom sink. But once the weather breaks and warms up then I have a 4' W x 2.5' D x 4' H and I have a compressor that sits inside of the cabinet so when I'm working there is a 20" box fan that sits over the compressor + it helps draw down that fine mist of paints.

DSCN1888.jpg

Here's my workbench. It came with the house as well as built in wood shelving on the back wall. The bench is in 1 of 2 rooms in the finished basement that I store models in. My spray booth is also in this room. I have a lot of parts because I've been doing this a long time. The bench is hardly ever this cleaned off. I do a lot of my building on a TV tray in the living room so my wife doesn't feel abandoned.