Model Cars Magazine Forum

1928 Mercedes Benz SS

Harry P.

Still having major problems with the hood panels. I've had the hood installed, uninstalled, installed again, uninstalled again... :rolleyes:

Basically the same problem as I had with the doors... the hood doesn't shut flush on its own, it's going to need some "persuasion." My fix will be the same fix I used on the doors... a small pin mounted to the lower rear corner of the hood side panel that will engage a small hole drilled into the fender unit's hood flange. Hopefully that will allow me to "snap" the hood shut the same way I can now snap the doors shut.

This one should be "under glass" tomorrow if my hood fix works out. ;)

My fix will be the same fix I used on the doors... a small pin mounted to the lower rear corner of the hood side panel that will engage a small hole drilled into the fender unit's hood flange. Hopefully that will allow me to "snap" the hood shut the same way I can now snap the doors shut.

This one should be "under glass" tomorrow if my hood fix works out. ;)

How will you get the length of a drill bit, pin vise and some fingers between the cowl and the radiator / front fender?

When 'under glass', maybe you can take out something twice the size to work on.... :rolleyes:

How will you get the length of a drill bit, pin vise and some fingers between the cowl and the radiator / front fender?

I don't understand the question.

I'm going to install a small pin on the inside of the lower rear corner of the hood side panel. That pin will fit into a hole that I will drill into the flange that projects vertically up from the fender unit and runs between the radiator grille shell and the firewall (that flange is where the bottom edge of the hood side panel rests against when the hood is closed.

I picked this kit to mark my re-entry into actually completing, rather than just starting or collecting kits and gathering reference, in 40 years. Wow, this looks like I've really got my work cut out for me. But Harry is acting as a real trailblazer on this kit, and I wouldn't even consider it if Cato hadn't assembled the daunting wire wheels for me. But here's my opportunity to work on the most complicated kit I've ever faced, and chalk it up as a learning experience, based on all the great stuff I've learned in this thread and on this forum. See you with my results in a year or two.

Edited by sjordan2

Regarding hood fit: Is this a question of keeping the hood sides flush against the cowling, or making it come down far enough to the frame, or both?

Getting it to come down all the way. Somewhere there's interference between the right side hood panels and what's underneath. If I push down on the right side of the hood it goes down where it should be, but as soon as I let go it pops up again. Not sure exactly where the interference is... I'll have to take the hood apart and try thinning down the thickness of the edges of the panels from the inside and hopefully that will create enough clearance for the right side to nestle down where it's supposed to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I am gone for a month and in the meantime you managed to build this, wow! Great model & great thread! I admire all the effort you have made to make this SS model the way it is. Nice one Harry :) Are you planning to build any new Mercedes model in the near future?

Getting it to come down all the way. Somewhere there's interference between the right side hood panels and what's underneath. If I push down on the right side of the hood it goes down where it should be, but as soon as I let go it pops up again. Not sure exactly where the interference is... I'll have to take the hood apart and try thinning down the thickness of the edges of the panels from the inside and hopefully that will create enough clearance for the right side to nestle down where it's supposed to be.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only builder with fitment issues!

Marvelous build and I appreciate the tips and tricks details you give out

I have started a 1/16 scale Academy Minicraft 1948 MGTC and will use your Merc as inspiration

Was worried about the plastic moulded wire wheels, but now will quietly paint them and be happy not to string my own

Fine job and great probem solving skills too

Scott

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Marvelous build and I appreciate the tips and tricks details you give out

I have started a 1/16 scale Academy Minicraft 1948 MGTC and will use your Merc as inspiration

Was worried about the plastic moulded wire wheels, but now will quietly paint them and be happy not to string my own

Fine job and great probem solving skills too

Scott

You know, after the hassle of stringing those wheels, the end result doesn't really look all that much better than molded wire wheels do, especially when painted black, which tends to hide the out-of-scale thickness of most molded wire wheels.. Stringing those wheels was a lot of effort for minimal impact if you ask me.