Model Cars Magazine Forum

Enamel Paints

Has anyone who has viewed the Don Yost dvd about airbrushing with Boyd enamel paints tired this method? Did you have good end results?I plan on trying his method,I have ordered the Testor Boyd enamel paints & clear from tower hobbies & will order the Metal flake from Gary soon.

Its tooooooo cold this week for painting

but before you try Donns flake idea....look into "embossing powder" made by jacquard available at Michaels. This is a dry flake similar to what HOK sells. Mix a SMALL AMOUNT into your favorite clear ....you can spray multiple coats for your look....I used these (yellow and gold)over the Tangelo on this 69....the mustang got straight silver....they POP!!!

IMG_1117a.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

look into "embossing powder" made by jacquard available at Michaels.

It's sold under the "Pearl-Ex" brand name. I get mine from Hobby Lobby. Comes in lots of colors. I've even mixed it into candies and cut down metallics. Just be carefull of the larger flake sizes (listed as Sparkle) as they can plug up the airbrush if too much is used.

Here's a few I did using Pearl-Ex.

truck2047.jpg

'72 GMC, Testors Burgandy Metallic mixed with Blue Russett pearl, then cut 50% wit Boyd clear, shot over Testors Laquer Flat Black.

100_0713.jpg

'72 GT-R, Boyd Orange Pearl/Alumacoupe Yellow (appx. 60/40 mix) cut 50% w/Boyd clear, mixed with Sparkle Gold/Sunset Gold/Brilliant Gold, shot over BPS Buff primer

100_0738.jpg

'83 Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex. Testors Kiln Red w/Super Copper/Sparkle Copper and cut 50% w/Boyd clear, shot over BPS Allis-Chalmers Orange.

Guest snapper

Its tooooooo cold this week for painting

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not going to risk any spraying now - I'm kind of at a stand still, but I think I'm going to get started on some other projects.