Model Cars Magazine Forum

Collector car investments I wish I had made...

You can't touch a Gremlin for $500 these days. A cheap rusty one that needs engine work is $2000 now.

Scrap metal value for a small car across the scale is around $400-450 these days.

I had a 1960 Buick Electra 2 door hardtop that I owned for about 25 years. I paid $500 for it back around 1983. I never did anything with it, but it kept one of my garage stalls full all that time! I decided to sell it for $2500, or 5 times my original investment. If I could calculate how much the space it occupied for 25 years cost me, I certainly lost money.

A funny story. I had the car on Craig's List for $2500. I got the usual parade of clowns who had no money and big ideas. One guy thought he could use it as a daily driver and 'restore' it over time in his apartment building's parking lot. It hadn't been on the road for 25 years so that wasn't happening, nor did he have the asking price!

I had a guy show up with a pickup truck dragging a car trailer. I hoped that meant he meant business. He walked around the car and offered me $250. cash money, right now. Turns out he wanted to drag it across the scale for weight. I asked him how the heck he thought someone selling a classic car for $2500 would let him do that for $250, and his reply was 'enough times that he made a living at it'!

For the record I finally got a call from a guy who paid me the $2500. He owned a body shop and did a full restoration on it.

Once again Fox New's car articles look like they were written by a female summer intern with a one hour deadline.

Why so eager to dump on Fox News?

If you were paying attention you would have seen that the story was written by Rob Sass of Hagerty.