Model Cars Magazine Forum

Richard Petty Magnum & Transporter

DodgeAddict

Cool project I've never seen that hauler before. I'll be following along on this build I have the Dodge cab I was thinking about building a different Petty hauler. Maybe you changed my mind how much research material do you have on that hauler ?

Just a couple pics. I've already started the frame & laid out almost all the box for the 72-74 Petty transporter

I posted a question on a Mopar forum & a member there posted the pic with the Magnum & offered up the body & asked if I would build it & the transporter

I saw them as a teenager in person But was so high on just being in the presence of the pair I don't remember much about the truck & trailer

In the book "The Cars of the King" there another nice photo if the truck and Magnum, but the angle is from behind. I highly recomend the book, it covers all the cars R.Petty/Petty Enterprisses build/used...but don't know if is still on print, got mine years ago.

To make a nice Petty Magnum you will have to rework the wheels openings...make them smaller and with the particular look this car had, also the sides "bulges" have to work to make them look softer at the edges.

I have this same resin body and made the modifications and now it looks much, much better...mine will be of course a Petty car....but still undesided if doing it in the "black primer test version with STP logos" or a full color one.

Good luck with your project, I like your idea and will look forward to see more of your progress on this.

When you decide which color you do I'll do the other so both can be represented & folks will learn

You're so right about the bulges I had to work the edges of the hood & trim a bunch of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH just to get the hood to sit flat & have good gaps

I had to sand the inside edges of the fenders too

Thank's for the tip on the book. I had every Stock Car Racing magazine from the early 70's till RP stepped out of the Magnum

I'll look for that book though for sure

Progress will be slow because of my increased working out of town but the $$$ made will help finance the builds that I've committed to along with this one I'll be buying 3 of the LS1000 cabs & at least 2 of the CNT cabs along with a ModelHaus Sweptline CrewCab

I figure the 72-4 MPC NASCAR Charger chassis will fit this & be closest to correct for the build I have Kit Car engines & trans for a powerplant & backup in the trailer

Think will be cheaper trying to find a Polar Lights 1974/75 Charger, these kits chassis are nicely detailed...BUT will need work to make it fit correctly. ..the Charger body for example needs a LOT of massage and work to make it look "nice"....the chassis...a little less, in my personal experience and opinion.

For my Petty Magnum project chassis is a old Monogram NASCAR Thunderbird chassis with some modifications....used the AMT Roadrunner front end chassis/front suspension assembly and the back differential with leafsprings, I consider myself a "frugal modeler" and try to do as much as I can with the parts box/home made solutions!!!!

I am REALLY excited about your project and will look forward for more updates.

• 4 months later...

If memory serves me right....a few months ago in the magazine Mopar Collectors Guide, someone went to the Petty Garage for an event, while wandering around....came across the actual truck from the picture that you posted Bob!!! They took a picture of it sitting among the buildings and weeds, and sent that to the magazine which published it. There must be some sort of sentimental reason this truck has never been sold or scrapped?? Who knows...maybe King Richard is going to restore it and put it in his museum??

Anyway...can't wait to see the finished product!!

Edited by dieseldog1970