Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model car builders mindset list 2013

I think you're missing the point here, for someone born in '95, they've never seen a kit retail for $5, they've always been at least triple that.

When comparing apples to apples, which one should always do, that $5 in 1970 is equivalent to about $30 today.

I've never seen a new kit retail for $5 and I bought my first 1:24/5 about 1987 or so from a corner drugstore. I believe it was just just a bit over $6. My allowance at the time was $2/week and it took FOREVER to save enough money to buy it. Prior to that I had built several Monogram 1/32 snappers but was too young to recall how much they cost.

Really? Since '95? I don't think so...

You don't think so what?

Since I graduated H.S. that year, I'm aware of what I was paying for models then, since by then I was buying them. They were $7-10 at the LHS I had at the time (now long gone). New kits at my current LHS are $21-31 depending on the manufacturer. That is 3 times more than in 1995 is it not? Not to mention for a kid born in 1995, even at 10 years old in 2005, kits were on the other side for $12 since they were gone from Wal*Mart by that time. Now those kids are 18 (like I was in 1995) and for them kits are the same $21-31 previously mentioned and they never saw a $5 kit, let alone a $10 kit.

Really? Since '95? I don't think so...

When I got back into the hobbie in 1992, the average AMT, Revell or Monogram kit was between 8 and 10 bucks at the hobby shop, so 2-3 times that is correct for todays prices.

When you think of the prices between then and now, when I was buying kits as a kid, I got a dollar a week allowance and I saved for a month to be able to buy the kit (which were about $2 then), paint, glue if needed and other things like X-acto handles. Now, with a month of putting away "fun money", I can get about two or three kits, or maybe a higher cost vintage kit plus paint, foil, detailing bits. It costs more, but hopefully we are able to spend more.

I think you're missing the point here, for someone born in '95, they've never seen a kit retail for $5, they've always been at least triple that.

You are right... I should have read the opening from the OP a bit closer. Sometimes it pays to slow down every now and then. Assuming for someone born in 95 they would have probably theroetically started building 10 years later kits would still be around $20.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda sounds like you guys have something strongly against video games. I have a PS3 and a Wii and play them fairly often. I also build model car kits. Does this mean I have ripped a hole in the space time continuum? :D

if you have, then you are not alone

I graduated H.S. in 1995, now these kids are going to college? *sigh* Guess that explains why the music I listened to then is filtering into classic rock...

As part of the Gen X set of modelers here, I had video games growing up on the original Nintendo (Atari before that) and watched the internet be born (and had a Commodore 128 before that), and yet I and a slew of other people ate all still here, still building, and most if us are proudly still playing video games of one sort our another. I don't understand why some people feel the two "pastimes" are mutual exclusive of one another.

Agreed; many of my builds are inspired by video games. I rarely play anything other than racing games so for me the two kind of go together. Before Gran Turismo originally came out, a Skyline was a restaurant in Cincinnati. Forza 4 is my current favorite and I am in the process of building a few cars from my "garage" so I personally think that model cars and video games CAN cohabitate. B)