Model Cars Magazine Forum

48 Ford Woody

Psychographic

Two birds, one stone. The idea of a car laid out on airbags sitting this high is ridiculous. So I decided to add some skirts to lower the body. The rounder rear fender bottoms will give it more shape and modern feel. The plus side of this, I get to brace the weakest link in the body. Lower and stronger, I like it.

PB080840.jpg

PB080841.jpg

Those of you who are following this have not seen a lot of shots of the body. I have been looking at this body for so long that it looks perfectly in proportion. I can no longer imagine it longer and taller. The original body looks like a Greyhound bus now.

I know what you mean. I have gotten so used to the ill proportioned AMT 32 Ford that the accurate Revell versions look funny to me!

It's finally hit what I consider the "Sweet Spot" of the build. It's when the major components snap into place when your fitting them. With that, I felt confident in making some final pieces. First was the filler panel above the radiator.

PB080851.jpg

The interior tailgate panel.

PB090852.jpg

I also made my first round with the filler on the main body.

I only broke one joint tonight !

Edited by Psychographic

How did you get the bends to stay in the headers? I have never been able to master that in styrene. I don't see flame marks.

Scott

Sorry to be late with the answer Scott.

I try to cold bend the rod using just my fingers. I bend a little, let it rest a second, bend some more and repeat that process until I have a little more band than I need. The rod will want to spring back some, so that's why I go a little "over". If, like in the case of this header, it will hold it's shape when assembled, I leave it alone.If it is not part of an assembly and won't hold it's shape, I'll cold bend it, then hit it with a lighter just long enough to hold it's shape. It takes way less heat to get it to set after it's bent, than to use heat to make the bend.

Hope that made sense.

Hopefully I only have one more pass with the filler and the body will be ready for paint.

While I'm waiting for the primer to dry thoroughly on the Woody, I figured I'd try to see what I could do with a recent find. I don't find this car particularly attractive, but I did see a lot potential. After a little thought and a couple of hours of cutting and fitting, this is what I came up with.

PB120869.jpg

PB120870.jpg

Both, the the primer/thinner and the filler are pretty hot for the styrene, so both needed time to cure. Tonight was hopefully going to be the last coat of primer before the final paint, but of course I found a couple of small spots that need to be addressed.

PB140871.jpg

PB140872.jpg

This build will be my first venture with BMF, I guess I should start practicing! Luckily it's only the four straight spears on the fenders.

I dropped it and only broke one joint!