Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/35 Willys MB Guam 1943 Restoration...

It is not a full restoration, I want add and modify a few small things on this old build.

The kit I started is the Willys MB from the Tamiya kit in 1/35, it was made in 1972, and is one of the worst kit ever made. The piece don't fit, above all between chassis, radiator, motor, body. Pretty much nothing fit. ;D

Here some picture I toke a that time.

For the engine I used the one from the Italeri kit, better made.

wpw8vi.jpg

Engine mount.

wpw7vi.jpg

Radiator detailed.

wpw6vi.jpg

Interior, with new dash, pedals and tranny cover.

wpw5vi.jpg

New firewall, blackout light details.

wpw4vi.jpg

And here all done in a little diorama. The first thing I need to change are the eyes! :)

wpw11vi.jpg

Wheels and chain are aftermarket parts.

wpw25vi.jpg

Rear view... Here some details on the tire, and add the water bag.

wpw20vi.jpg

Top view, you can see all the radios that are aftermarket.

wpw26vi.jpg

The idea was to recreate a communication Jeep that was used in Guam in 1943 by the US Marines. The idea that make build it is when I found that Native American were in the US Marines for do the radio communication, and get the name "Code talkers".

The restoration will be only on the two soldiers, I need to redo the eyes, add some detail on the Native American, and maybe some vegetation around it. Soon I will post the new pics... :)

Thats a very nice little diorama. Once you get rid of the "pop" eyes it will be even better.

Thanks, Is the first thing I will work are the eyes. :)

There are absolutely no rocks like that on Guam. Or at least there werent when i lived there 62 - 65. Its a coral island.

I have a friend (native from Guam) that told me different... I show him the step to step while I was building and he approved the rocks I used. :)

Here a picture from Yona, I see rocks on the river...

222838882047b782b5de.jpg

This picture is from the Inarajan river... (www pacificworlds com/guam/land/water.cfm) Also here big rocks...

rocksq.jpg

hey thanks for those photos...its been a long time since i have been there! you know after i posted that i remembered one time me and my brother were exploring around in the jungle (looking for unexploded hand grenades and ordinance or the occassional japanese pillbox) and we found this geode that was a roughly circular rock with an hole in it and all crystally inside. so that meant there was indeed other than coral formations there! instant facepalm moment!

great looking model by the way and thanks again for the photos. im not sure i know where that is but we used to go to talafofo falls all the time, this was before the place was any kind of tourist destination at all.

Tasty details on the jeep, Brizio

Were there Marine issue sun glasses during this era? Probably solve the prob instantly ;)

Thank you! I don't know about sun glasses... But I repaint the eyes... :)

I'm almost done with it. I need a wood base to put under it so it will be more presentable...

The label will be printed and attached on the wood base. :)

Here I also add some more vegetation.

img7760q.jpg

Another view, here also you can see the necklace on the code talker.

img7761s.jpg

And finally new eyes for both! :D

img7762j.jpg