Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 FORD - MODELHAUS RESIN KIT

Ramfins59

Thanks again to everyone for all the positive feedback on this build.

David, I'll keep your recommendations for Tamiya gold paints in mind the next time I go paint shopping at my LHS. In the meantime, as I stated above, I already painted the side trim insert with brass metalizer and it looks really good.

Bruce, I thank you for the compliments but all I did was press the button on the spray can. The paint just laid down perfectly. I did warm the can a bit in warm water before spraying as it is kind of chilly in my basement. The Coral Blue color is sort of like Aqua and/or Turquoise and is a real 50's car color... I love it.

I can't wait to see this baby finished but I'm restraining myself from rushing to finish it. I've learned the hard way that rushing will screw it up somewhere along the line,so patience is the key word here. Tough to do sometimes but the right thing in the long run to have it come out right.

I again thank everyone for following along on this little journey.

I made a little more progress on this build today as I assembled all the interior pieces. Here's what it looks like...

FINISHEDINTERIOR21024x694_zps9a42fcca.jp

FINISHEDINTERIOR11024x763_zpsee8eac7e.jp

Tonight I'm going to start polishing the Duplicolor clearcoat that I applied yesterday. When that is done, tomorrow I'll start applying the BMF trim. Hopefully I won't run into any glitches along the way.

Further updates to come. Thanks for following along.

Thanks for your kind words guys. Yeah Mike, those suicide knobs, or necker knobs are pretty cool. I had one on my '59 Dodge a few years back and it felt great turning that big steering wheel.

Del I will get back to the '36 in good time. It was just fighting me and I felt it best to just put it aside until I can come back to it with a fresh outlook instead of wanting to throw it hard.

Thanks John. Yeah I'd love to see anyone come out with new kits of this Ford and ANY of the great '58 & '59 cars..... Buick, Olds, Pontiac, Mercury, and the '59 Ford. Of course the Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge and Plymouths would be way cool too. We can dream can't we...??? Until then I guess we'll just have to splurge once in awhile on a good resin kit.

One thing I would like to mention is the dash trim. The panel between the top and bottom is actually texture chrome. Base line models stop with the clock panel. Only Fairlane's have the trim panel on the glove box door.
Base line models have two painted control panels on either side of the steering wheel shaft, while the Fairlane is graced with chrome as shown in this pic.

rdfairlaneconvertible52website-vi.jpg

Hope it's not too late...

Shoot...!!! Yeah Jairus, the dash is already CA glued on and hit with zip kicker. On the reference picture that I used, that panel looked more white than textured chrome so I left most of it the blue color. Oooops. I won't tell anyone if you won't. Thanks for the heads up though.

I spent about 4 hours today putting on all the BMF on the body. Here's how it looks at the moment...

FOILEDBODYFRONT1024x763_zps1c24e250.jpg

FOILEDBODYFRONT21024x739_zpsbca5af89.jpg

FOILEDBODYREAR1024x763_zps007035df.jpg

I'm getting close to putting this little fella together. I can't wait...!!!

Jairus, your post about the dashboard trim has been driving me nuts since last night...!!!

I'm picking up some CA glue Debonder today to see if I can remove the dashboard from the assembled interior without damaging anything. I'll also try to unglue the steering wheel so I can try to get unobstructed access to the dash. I'm hoping that the Debonder will work even on the Zip Kicker I used. If that all works OK I'll do my best to paint that center strip on the dash with some aluminum metalizer which should hopefully be good enough...??? I'm hoping that any "damage" that may be caused by taking things apart will be minimal and that not much touch-up repair will be needed.

Thanks SO MUCH for your input Jairus... and for the extra work now needed...!!! :(<_<;)

Isn't modeling fun...!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Ramfins59

I would NOT try bare metal in such a tight space. Just pop the top on a good home brew, put on some calming music and brush silver on with a good NEW 000 brush.
No need to remove the dash, just the steering wheel.

You got the white face gauges correct so all you need now is the silver. Oh... and the gauge needles are fluorescent red if you are feeling really lucky.

OK... Ixnay on the debonder. The LHS guy told me that the debonder would take off the paint in addition to having the CA glue let go. So my first thoughts were to just leave it alone. But the longer I looked at it, the more I thought that I could come up with a solution WITHOUT removing the dashboard.

I wound up taking a piece of the metal trim from the Galaxie '48 Chevy (which was the PERFECT size height wise), cutting a couple of pieces to the right length, painted them aluminum, and carefully glued them in place... a longer piece with a glove box button to the right of the clock and a shorter piece to the left of the steering wheel. I'm happy with it and think it looks pretty good...... no matter what Jairus says now... :lol: Here's what it looks like... and NO Jairus, I DON'T feel that lucky... Tnanks buddy.

DASHBOARDTRIMPANELSADDED1024x748_zps1d1f

I glued on the fender ornaments and the faux hood scoop and also installed the headlight lenses with some half headlight shields from the J. C. Whitney catalog (actually they're from Detail Master).

FENDERORNAMENTSANDFAUXHOODSCOOPANDHEADLI

Then I glued in the taillight assemblies with the J.C. Whit......ooops.... the MV lens blue dots...

TAILLIGHTSINSTALLED_zps78e67838.jpg

It's definitely coming along. I have to add a plastic filler piece along the top outside edge of the driver's side interior side panel as there is a rather large and noticeable gap when I dry fitted the interior in. The gap on the passenger side is much smaller but also may need a thinner piece of plastic filler. An unexpected step which will require some additional work and paint touch-ups but hey... that's part of the "joy of modeling" right...??? So the beat goes on and it's another day closer to completion.

Thanks to everyone for following along on this saga.

Edited by Ramfins59