Model Cars Magazine Forum

trying to get these apart nothing is working

awhile back i bought these at a flee market find and i want to get started i have tried everything but they are glued so bad that you can see the glue marks.i want to make a hot rod cadlillac i love the bigger cars.any help it is agravating the one came apart littl eby llittl ethey rest are bad bad to get apart.i bought the lowrider caddy a 1969 nova and a chevy truck.i want to combine it and build a raceing caddy i have inclosed a picture of what i want it to look like.this picture is from hot rod magazine.

post-5711-12705639718073_thumb.jpg

when working with glue bombs you sometimes have to think outside the box . there is no magical product that will dissolve the glue so you need to try carefully prying parts apart,sometimes a little liquid glue will soften things enough to get them apart.another approach would be to figure out what parts you want to use and then cut them out with out trying to save the rest of the donor kit.good luck !

Mike, if you take a VERY thin copper tube, an stick the end of it in paint thinner, put your finger over the tip of it, to hold some fluid up in it, an then let it flow out onto the glued area, you'll find that the thinner will weaken the glue bond enough to be able to separate it without too much fuss. You may need to do this a few times to get the bond weak enough to split. Helps if you have an Exacto knife to help pull apart the joint. This may take some time, but it DOES work. I've done it MANY times to help me loosen joints on glue bombs. Hope this helps!biggrin.gifwink.gif

This would have been a great April Fools gag.

Maybe next year we'll come up with something

I myself use the freezer method

First I just stick it in there without water soaking first.

If that doesn't work, then try the water

• 4 weeks later...

I've never had any good results with the freezer method. One way that worked for me was to use liquid glue in the joint of the glue. I had to go over the joint a few times with the glue and it finally loosened up the joint so I could pull it apart. I did this on the seats of the 63 Impala that I rebuilt and it was the only way that I could get them out of the interior, and it didn't hurt the interior tub. You do have to be careful that you don't use to much glue cause it will melt the tub. Practice and paitience is what it takes to get the job done. Dan