Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures of Chevy I6 Fisher dual plug cylinder heads?

Anyone have a picture of the Chevy Fisher I6 cylinder head (as included in the AMT '51 Chevy Bel Air) that would show the location of dual spark plugs per cylinder????

I can find plenty of pictures of the cylinder head/spark plug locations for Fisher heads with single spark plugs per cylinder, but the AMT kit includes a distributor cap with 12 (not six) spark plug wire terminals, leading me to believe that there must be or have been a Fisher dual plug cylinder head out there somewhere! And if so, I need to see a picture of it so I route my spark plug wiring properly.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help....TIM

Edited by tim boyd

• 8 years later...
1 hour ago, Ulf said:

...Did you find a picture?
Now it's my turn to pull what little hair I have left, I really want an injection engine in my TROG project. 

You did notice, I suppose, this thread is eight years old?

Anyway, the Fisher heads were developed from the Wayne and Horning heads produced by Wayne Horning. Fisher bought Horning's tooling and produced heads for about 4 years, with only relatively minor modifications IIRC.

The hot setup had 12 ports, and a cross-flow configuration. Here's some dope on 12-port heads.   https://www.inliners.org/12_Port_Story/main1.html

I believe the twin-plug head was built by Kay Sissel, but have nothing to confirm that as yet.

EDIT: Here are a pair of Hilborn-injected non-crossflow GM inline sixes

Sissel-950.JPG.93552a0127f7776e2ba7bbbba8712457.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Here's 68 pages of six-cylinder drag cars, many old, in-period. Happy hunting.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/six-cylinder-drag-cars-photos.532331/

And unfortunately, it looks like the links to Sissel Automotive and the history of Kay Sissel are dead.

http://sissellautomotive.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

EDIT: This appears to be a 12-plug, cross-flow head, running a custom front-cover distributor drive, made by Horning in 1951. Note the Hilborn injection.

pt_2_2.jpg.e54e0ce35c2546ba6e64de3366f4d742.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...

So, now I have tried to get the plastic pieces together...
The in line six in the AMT 51 Chevy was a bit crooked so instead of working on it I made my own engine block which at least is perpendicular, "the clutch" is an old Monogram rim and a part from the 51 air cleaner.
The ribs on the liftgate are a pair of valve covers from an AMT Corvette.
What do you say, can this pass as an in line 6 with Fisher Cross flow head ?

E2AA0799-9AE8-4E9E-A482-6D44673FCD38.jpeg.36abaacf0942c101eb32a710702ec975.jpegE340A090-793C-4781-A648-970676C6A9B8.jpeg.f826c81867372b9040c3df077f0175c4.jpeg

You're in the ballpark. I haven't really been looking, but I came up with another image (see link below for more).

EDIT: The source calls this a "Wayne F Horning 12 Port Head"... and as Mr. Fisher subsequently bought the tooling from Mr. Horning, it stands to reason that this is also what may incorrectly be referred to as a "Fisher" crossflow head.

Pin on Beautiful Images

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Here's a bunch more...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-scrambler-1960-gmc-302-12-port-nitro-fed.737695/

EDIT: It looks to me as though your intake and exhaust ports should come out of the black part of the engine you've built, and perhaps you might fiddle with the proportions some.

Right now, your exhaust pipes are coming out of what should actually be the top of the block.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy