Model Cars Magazine Forum

thinking about getting into rc cars

Be ready to spends lots of money, its can get very expensive

That is a fact...i live just minutes from a Big Hobby Store (RC-Country)....and i see people pay lot's of money..and i mean lot's of Monies... on just the parts alone...$300.00 to $700.00 + for RC...no thanks i'll stay with my $24.99 / $27.99 Model Kits....

But to be up-front and honest....If i could afford the RC thing..i would do it....Maybe?? i don't know, perhaps...oh well...

Edited by XJ6

I raced for lots of years and spent and arm and a leg. Just starting out i would definitely go electric, Since you like offroad you can't go wrong with a traxxas slash. Just about any hobby shop that carries RC will have traxxas parts and they are pretty darn tough and can take a beating, and with todays lipo batteries you get excellent run time. Once you start modding you probably won't stop lol. A-main hobbies.com is a pretty good site for buying online. If you need some more help or guidance feel free to PM me.

Edited by Prostreet

What kind of off roading were you looking to do? There's all sorts of stuff from monster trucks, short course,1/10 "stadium", 1/8-1/14 buggy, truggy (which are basicly a larger scale version of the stadium truck), rock crawlers and their off shoots, scalers (since you're into models, you might enjoy that), rock racers, Formula-Off Road (also known as FOFF :P ) racers.

A few years ago I built some Nitro one's up from just parts I bought on flea-bay, the new built ones where too expensive so bought parts when I had some money spare..

I now have about 5 Traxxas Revo's and a dragster which I've never used and they just sit in my loft now, but they where interesting to build, wish I'd of re-started models instead...

did that for many years myself and yes it can be expensive but if your just starting out and just fooling arround its hard to beat something RTR from Traxxas or HPI both have reasonable cost rigs and parts are everywhere RPP Hobby and Tower Hobby are the onlines I've used but I always try to suport my LHS when possible

One doesn't need to spend a lot of money in R/C. I'd probably start with an entry level Tamiya buggy, that is a stripped down version of their higher end model. They don't cost a lot, aftermarket parts are abundant, and if you decide to get more serious into it later you can upgrade it easily.

stop by your local r/c store...ask if they have any used or prebuilt trucks. I run a team Associated old T2 and love it...couple of batteries and a change of tires and I'm ready to roll.....I spent a bunch a few years back and it's lasted fine.

The small rc store here in town is a traxxas dealer, so that played pretty heavy on my choice of brand. There is a lot out there but I can get pretty much anything I need and help right here in town, that's worth quite a bit to me. Find what available to you locally first, then shop those brands. They all have some great choices.

ive been into rc for 22 years and it can cost if u get addicted but i say go to your lhs talk to them there and see what they carry and if u have a local track even better ask around and start off in electric learn to drive it and if you like it upgrade to better parts thats where it will cost you but its a great hobby and tones of fun and all kinds of cars trucks buggies and motorcycles. pm me if u want i am more than willing to help out . good luck