Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airbrush Questions

I bought a Paasche VL today after doing a little research on some airbrushes. I'm excited about learning how to use it but I'm looking for some advice on how to get started. I know that the more I practice with it the better the results will be, but I'm not sure what techniques I'm suppose to be practicing. Are there any websites, books, or videos that you recomend that show tips for beginners?

The other question I have is about hooking it up to the compressor. I have a pancake air compressor that I use to air up tires and things around the house and was planning to use that for the air brush. I know that I will probably need an additional air pressure regulator other than the one that is on the tank. Is there anything else that I need to connect the to the line feeding the air brush such as oil filters or water seperators?

I have a VL, The cool thing about it is you can use the little wheel in front of the trigger and use it like a single action.

Just turn it and you will see the trigger will move back-for paint flow,then just press down. When you get more comfy

w /it you can use it in double action- I hope this makes sense?-I'm not the best teacher, but anyway it's a verygood a/b,

I think you will like it. Just go thin down some paint and play with it! You'll see.

Eric

Yes. Get a water trap for sure. Harbor freight is a good source. The Paasche hose will take a standard quick disconnect, which is what I use. I think it's 1/4" pipe thread. It might even thread on to the compressor as-is.

I would also get a large pad of newsprint and some cheap ink to practice with. That will keep clean-up easy and you can really get a feel for the pattern each tip lays down.

i guess this is as good of a place for posting this, but i recently fired up my airbrush that i've had for maybe 5 years...

talk about a kid in the candy store...i didnt want to put it down...lol

sorry for the temp thread jack...but i would check Harbor Freight early and often...they had a sale on airbrush compressors and i got one for like 60 bucks...nice lil machine too...relatively quiet and works like a champ...

i guess this is as good of a place for posting this, but i recently fired up my airbrush that i've had for maybe 5 years...

talk about a kid in the candy store...i didnt want to put it down...lol

sorry for the temp thread jack...but i would check Harbor Freight early and often...they had a sale on airbrush compressors and i got one for like 60 bucks...nice lil machine too...relatively quiet and works like a champ...

Why not think better and think ahead? A regular pancake compressor is cheaper than an AB compressor, and does so much more!

I bought a Paasche VL today after doing a little research on some airbrushes. I'm excited about learning how to use it but I'm looking for some advice on how to get started. I know that the more I practice with it the better the results will be, but I'm not sure what techniques I'm suppose to be practicing. Are there any websites, books, or videos that you recomend that show tips for beginners?

The other question I have is about hooking it up to the compressor. I have a pancake air compressor that I use to air up tires and things around the house and was planning to use that for the air brush. I know that I will probably need an additional air pressure regulator other than the one that is on the tank. Is there anything else that I need to connect the to the line feeding the air brush such as oil filters or water seperators?

You can use a spare tire from a car. no compressor needed. kinda old school....

that is true and has a better control and even air flow because of the tank.. but there is a cost.. witch is noise.. there a lot louder.. I run a 50 foot hose to get the compressor at the other end of the house... I just mounted my other 2 regulators and moisture trap with a quick disconnect each end set up on the frame work of my spray booth cabinet. on the other side of the booth I have my hangers for my airbrushes.. I use good fabric covered hoses... ( the 50 hose is a 1/4 inch. diameter.)

Very good information and well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not every AirBrusher needs a large loud compressor.

I purchased my brand new $400 Badger 180-22 Compressor off Ebay for $99, with a Regulator and Water Trap.

Many great portable Compressors with and without Tanks can be had for under $125.

CadillacPat

Edited by CadillacPat

Hi MCM why not try this airbrush forum here is their web site www.theairbrushforum.com there are alot of great people on there to give you a helping hand if you get stuck or what ever and somethimes they have a airbrush class to also help you out.

Why not think better and think ahead? A regular pancake compressor is cheaper than an AB compressor, and does so much more!

probably...but imo...$60 was a great deal...

i will use this soley for my models so, it was worth it to me.

but thank you for your input though...

If your airbrush was a new kit it should have had a booklet in it showing how to practice with it. If you got the booklet and haven't done so yet, please read it.

Another way to practice is to get one bottle of fabric paint like Createx. I would suggest black. Scrounge up an old T-shirt or two and practice on them. Stick a piece of cardboard inside the shirt and spray away.

You have to be sure you clean the 'brush well if you plan to later spray solvent based materials but it is also a good way to learn how to take it apart and put it back together.