all the parts

IMG_0421.jpg

flat plate

IMG_0425.jpg

mock up with white glue

IMG_0426.jpg

gettin close

IMG_0424.jpg

Heres one (Gibson Rat Trap engine) I built last nov 2007 I also made my own stacks. The car is 63' Nova fastback made into an awb with Jungle Jim decals and I used a Rat Pack kit to finish her ...............................

Edited by Tired of kit bashing

• 1 month later...
;) Welcome aboard M.M. The guys are talkin about Ross Gibson Resin cast multi-piece engines.The come in quite a few varieties,Mopar,Chevy,And Ithink some Fords.One of the guys was just askin tips on how they go together.If anyone can answer that question,these guys can!Enjoy! :lol:

Hi all, I just joined this forum today. Great website ;) .

I have 5 or 6 Gibson engines and I think they're great. Really nice detail and very little clean up required.

I put one I bought years ago in a Hemi Dart I'm building. It turned out great.

Earl :lol:

post-3039-1210610578_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1210610647_thumb.jpg

post-3039-1210610472_thumb.jpg

Edited by burlllee

Hey everyone. Im new to this site, so far ive seen alot of amazing models. Ive been building models for a good 12-13 years. I do alot of the drag cars so I was wondering where you got the pro stock and crate engines?

here are some great sources that I use

http://www.modelexpress.net/cgi-bin/modele...d=gorcLnYE'

http://www.internethobbies.com/rogien.html

• 3 years later...

my experience thus far with ross gibson motors:

i got the sonny's supermax supercharged engine, and if i remember correctly it has 48 pieces to it.

i will say this: test fit, test fit, test fit, fix, test fit, test fit, fix, fix, test fit... test fit... annd if you feel confident with the way the piece glued together..... glue!

i was kinda irritated that they didn't just make it a single cast for the block, but oh well. that's why we build models, right?

oh, and i preferred the kit exhaust manifolds from the 55 pro sportsman over the resin pieces.

Edited by wgflatliner

You have to understand the physics behind resin casting in order to understand why Ross Gibson engines are done the way they are. Everything in his kits are based on a one piece mold. That means that all components have to be broken down in order to cast a one piece mold and still retain all of the detail. So, every part has to be able to have a flat surface, which is why the kits are broken down into so many pieces. Yes, they are a bit of a challenge to work with but when you are finished you have one of the nicest detailed kits available.

This is also the reason that the headers are probably the least desirable pieces in his kits. It's next to impossible to get a nice round tube when you are trying to cast the part as a one piece mold.