Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Impala

Dom87SS

This is really looking good! Where did the wheels come from? I've been looking for some like those.

rims - they are slot car rims (foam tires removed) made by pro track. at scale they are between a 17-18". Just something to keep in mind as they wont fit a lot of regular tires you have.

tires - i am making these myself.

well i made a intake last week, but it was way too big so i cut the plenum off and reshaped it to be a bit smaller. then attempted to make a base for the intake and some runners to fit the plenum on it. its no were near where i want it to be, but could be the start to my intake. That is if i dont give in and redesign a new intake for it next week.

img06391957341.jpg

i cut teh trans tunnel out because the drive shaft angle wouldnt work with the stock floor. so i bent up some sheet to form a new tunnel that will let the drive shaft connect to the rear end and trans without obstruction. also cut some more floor out to lower the rear end a little more. i also boxed in the upper control arm area as it come with just an open hole there. i still need to make another piece to connect to what i have and the upper part of the rear frame cross member. im using a stock shock that i cut down to accept the lowered ride height, its not pictured here.

img06401981777.jpg

i cut the trans tunnel out because the drive shaft angle wouldnt work with the stock floor. so i bent up some sheet to form a new tunnel that will let the drive shaft connect to the rear end and trans without obstruction. also cut some more floor out to lower the rear end a little more. i also boxed in the upper control arm area as it come with just an open hole there. i still need to make another piece to connect to what i have and the upper part of the rear frame cross member. im using a stock shock that i cut down to accept the lowered ride height, its not pictured here.

img06412000582.jpg

img06422024603.jpg

didnt get much done, but did make a little progress. i was going to paint up the rear end and suspension components separately, but since they were all going to be done with the same paint i figured ill just install it and shoot it all at once. plus it gets me past this little road block ive been dealing with. so the rear end is in with the control arms i made, i cut down the springs, made a plate for the spring to sit on the control arm with, cut down the stock shocks from the middle to what was needed for "ride height", and made a panhard bar with a chassis mounted bushing. i then drilled out the housing ends and fitted them with styrene tube to serve as axles (they will be cut down to fit inside the rim). im still working on the front end stuff, so its not on the car yet, but that should be the next thing on the to-do list.

so the car now has its rear stance set, just need to set the front up now and ill be on my way to making some rear progress....or so i hope.

img06791835340.jpg

img06831842814.jpg

img06841849370.jpg

well i havent done much in the past few days. i unsuccessfully painted the car, then spent the last 2 days stripping the paint and cleaning the body back up for repainting. But i did get it cleaned up, primed, and finally some paint laid down tonight that im ok with. its a bit heavy in some spots, but im not stripping it all again. And that fact i havent painted anythign in a good 7-8 years made this feel pretty good that it looks how it does.

I painted up the whole chassis in Tamiya semi gloss black out of a rattle can. does it hide a lot of the detail i tried to put into the chassis? yes it does but that is ok, because i relate it to a real car where the more you look at it the more little things you find and the cooler it gets. The look is exactly how i envisioned it looking.

img06874733039.jpg

Next i laid down the paint on the body, 2 coats of primer (i had to sand a few spots after the first coat)then 2 coats of paint with no clear yet and this thing still shines under a light. the paint is smooth, but it is a bit heavy and needs to be watched and applied lightly with a few slow passes. I used Testors new lacquer paint, this one is called graphite dust and it looks awesome. the the glitter you see is not that noticeable in person, but the flash brought it out. It is a really really nice color, and i suspect i will be building more cars using this color. what you cant see is i painted the inner fenders, a pillars, c pillars, and roof in the same Tamiya semi gloss black.

img07044742422.jpg

img07054749363.jpg

after letting the paint dry about a week i gave it a go to try using bare metal foil. I tried using the model mater stuff years back and had little success, BMF is awesome though and worth having to add a little extra to a model. I started foiling yesterday and finished up this morning. It isnt perfect be any means because i tore some spots and had to do patch work, got a few wrinkles here n there i couldn't rub out. But overall i think it looks a lot better than the bare body i originally planned to go with. I threw the model together for the first time in over a week today to see how it looked, ill let you guys be the judge. I still need to detail the bumpers, add decals, add some clear (no clear on it as of yet), put the windows in and the body work is done. I still have a lot of work under the hood and interior to do so a few more weeks id imagine and i should be close to done.

img07870249767.jpg

img07880265212.jpg

img0789ja.jpg

img0791f.jpg

img07940749384.jpg

img07930715730.jpg

• 1 month later...

so after not touching this thing in weeks, nearly a month now, i finally did what ive been needing to do. i got my intake done, well its made, i may make some more revisions. after getting the intake on today o drill the hole in the firewall, then also made the tube to go to the intercooler. they need some trimming on the backside of the firewall and some paint but for the most part its about ready (a few little things im working on i hope turn out as good as i envision them). that's all the updates i have for now, but with not much for plans this weekend i may be able to get something done.

img39089009103.jpg

img39068944109.jpg

so im just about done designing my intake manifold for this car, and hope to have it ready by next week and on the car. its getting hard to draw the lines on how much detail needs to be on this motor. it could really get crazy, but i think that'll take some of the fun out of it for me. guess time will tell how i go about it.

bbcbilletintake1824137.jpg

also designed a fuel cell for under the hood to hold the methanol for when the motor sees boost :D

3galcell7321840.jpg

Great build so far and its looking great. What CAD program are you using?? I use SolidWorks myself.

nice and clean and well thought out :lol: what style connections are you going to do for the plumbing? the silicone style with the clamps or the newer metal style?

silicone style, hoping to make them out of heat shrink tubing without melting the tubes. that is unless someone has a better idea as how to do it, this is my first real more in depth build.

did a little today, though did more fumbling around than actual work.

the hood still fits which is a good thing. the cage also fits without blowing apart, but i broke the intercooler mount so i need to make a new one of those.

img39228267919.jpg

painted the intake and charge tube, added a fuel line between the fuel rails, and made the silicone style couplers. i added the one for the pipe to the turbo, then added one where the pipe steps up in size. not sure if im gonna leave the last one though as in reality it could be a welded pipe. And i put the exhaust back on it.

img39248303425.jpg

img39278330093.jpg

Edited by Dom87SS

• 3 weeks later...

not much of an update, but i only worked on it for a few minutes today. i made a procharger style enclosed blow off valve. need to run the hose from the top to the intake to finish that part off. im really draggin my feet at this point with it. i need to figure out what i really want to do with it now so i can finish it.

img4440.jpg

img4442t.jpg