Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/32 Garage Diorama

wkennerley

Hi All, with my getting back into car modelling and having chosen 1/32 for now - I decided I need to build a diorama, mainly to photograph my models -

Now I am not a quick modeller at the best of times so this may take a while. I have drawn up a plan for the garage which potentially could hold 4 cars - The idea is to have a chassis and bits in the back two bays and use the front two bays as display for built up models.

I have acquired a few 1/35 tools and bits which look great in 1/32 and a memebr of another forum I am on, supplied me with a CAD drawing of dexion parts that I will attached to plastic profile to built the shelving.

For now a photo of my Packard refurb project laid onto the plans for the diorama.

Wayne

IMG_3390.jpg

Oil can

IMG_3393-1.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

KEEP THIS ONE COMING WAYNE! 1/32 scale dios are my bag, so ask if you need any ideas for supplies, etc........ but looks like you're heading in the right direction without any help already.......

I'm going to be following this and the Packard build closely.

Tony

Hi All, not much progress today, it takes ages to score all the blockwork!! Anyway some pics for you. If I were to do this again I would make the walls from one piece and add detail for the columns rather than have them separate as I have made them -

Wayne

IMG_3405.jpgIMG_3412.jpgIMG_3406.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

The concept is great and the build is coming along great! I would suggest something more substantial be added to the floor though..... if you paint it without priming first, that Foamcore board will probably warp badly. Perhaps you could glue it down to a wooden base and sit something really heavy on it while it dries overnight?

The same might apply to the walls as well. A very light spray coat on both sides of an artist's primer, or an application of artist's Gesso may be enough to stabilize it before final painting. Don't use any form of laquer paint as it will eat the foam core!

I suggest you test your paint on a spare piece of Foamcore first and see how it reacts.

Tony

Paint has a funny way of reacting with things Here is some foam insulation I painted, but the effects were fantastic. Couldn't have achieved this look if I worked on for 100 years.

Misc022.jpg

The paint started to melt the foam. luckily I was doing this outside, so if there were any fumes they disappated quickly.

Hi Tony, thanks for the notes. I am mounting the floor to another piece of "foamboard" (I am not sure its foam core as it looks like just one thickness, no layers) which will them be glued to a wooden base, all done with either impact adhesive or wood glue, I need to trial the wood glue first. I will also trial painting it, this stuff seems quite stable as its used for outdoor signs though of course there are no laquers etc floating around in large quantities in the air here (we hope!!)

Wayne

Thanks for the comments all - First wall panel painted up, white with warhammer gryphonne sepia to the joints, looks a bit dark to me - Any suggestions re making a good looking white painted wall please

Thanks

Wayne

IMG_3457.jpg

Few more pics with base painted and 1 wall set up - Also shows some equipment I have painted up

IMG_3460.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_3461.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

Very nice Charlie, I am hoping to acquire a Darracq soon.

Wayne

The Airfix Darracq is actually closer to 1/25 scale... not 1/32 as stated on the packaging. And it's a pretty basic kit with almost no accurate detail. It will need a lot of scratchbuilding to get it to look like the real car. Check out the movie "Genevieve" to see what it should really look like.

Tony