Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kansas

tabsscale1

Now How COOL is this! :P

Ah KEYN 103.7 " The Rock of Wichita" I know oh so well, they now play "Classic hits" 70's & 80's hit tunes. I still listen to it! I seem to remember a "Danno" as a DJ now, wasn't that your air name as well? Steve "Mac" Macintosh is still at it but on talk radio 1330 AM. I remember when the station was over next to "BB hills" right off of 29Th st north. ;) I remember Mike miller & Used know another DJ that was there Phil Padilla. Some times we would go up there while he was working & hang out & pass time. The last I knew he was in Salina 104.9 & disappeared after a year went by. Dejavu

Well, I was probably there a lot earlier ... my air name was Danny Merit and at the time we were located at 3357 W. Central in a converted two story house on the south side of the street; we had several acres of land with four radio towers in the back yard. At that time, we simulcast on 900 am and 103.7 fm ("The Big 10-4") and KEYN's logo tag was PACESETTER RADIO.

Those were the days we did remote broadcasts from a small travel trailer that was converted to a mobile studio, and we had a newish Dodge Charger "mobile unit" that we'd run around in ... park somewhere and call in to the on-air show ... and give away a six-pack of Walter's Beer to the first couple of people who drove up after hearing the call-in. Yep, those were the days!

One thing that was 'cute' about the Charger: We had it lettered "Mobile Unit #2" on one side and "Mobile Unit #3" on the other side. You'd be suprised how many people thought we had a whole fleet of Chargers!! :lol: :lol:

I was proud of my ratings! I came in number 1 in my time slot ... kicked KLEO's patooty. 'Course I have to admit I didn't talk much about the fact that I was overnight and KLEO was off the air once a week while I was on-air! I really pulled in the numbers when they were silent!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know why I still remember the address; I have a hard enough time remembering to do my chores!

:lol:

PS: "BB Hills?" 29th Street? Weren't KWBB's studios on 29th Street 'way back? Did KEYN buy KWBB? Make any sense to you?

Goddard? or Cheney? How about coming to the next club meeting! :lol:

Cheney, and I might....might. I don't do too well in groups, plus I have a thick Irish accent and a raspy 200-year old smoker's voice; so most people can't understand me. Not to mention the few models I've built aren't worth showing off.

That would be right on the old KWBB property. Since then they have moved years ago into a better neighborhood. I'll have to jump start some brain cells to remember the Charger & all. :D

Wow. Well, if you really wanna stretch the gray matter, reach back into KWBB's rock-n-roll heydays and recall Randy Landis, Dick Schmidt, DJ Jones, and the 'BB News Director Jim Setters?

:blink:

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Been living for 16 years in Wichita and have been purchasing kits from Automobilia for as long as I can remember. I don't know the owner by name, but he always recognizes me when I come in. Real nice guy. I was just there yesterday looking for foil, but the club had purchased the last of his stock. Got some from Hobbytown USA. I would like to meet with the club, but I work on saturdays and probably always will for the foreseeable future.

Drove across Kansas from U of Wyoming in 1970 to got to summer encampment for AFROTC at Forbes Air Force Base in Topeka. "zat count. Also spent a little time at McConnell AFB in Witchita swaping out aircraft. I don't know if it still is, but it use to be the depot for modifications to the KC-135 aircraft. Picked up several birds after the wings were reskinned. ;)