Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's your favorite car(s) or truck from the year of your birth?

1970 : The Highwater Mark of the Supercar .

With that in mind , I cannot choose just one . Here's my 'Top __' list from 1970 models :

1.) Duster 340 . Disc brakes were standard !

2.) Swinger 340 . Disc brakes were standard here , too ; but , it's that this was the only year that the Dart received the coveted Rallye Gauges (okay , so did the 1971 Demon 340 ...)

3.) Chevelle . Of course , the LS-6 was the king . Heck , even the 325 hp version of the 396 / 402 was sweet !

4.) Skylark GS/X . Buick's "velvet hammer" .

5.) Boss 429 Mustang . A life-long favourite of mine . Monogram's kit of this icon only cemented my contention that this was the best year for the 'Stang .

6.) Road Runner . This was the last year for the 'real' 383 Road Runner Engine (335 hp version). I'd like to have a drop-top model with the 383 !

7.) Challenger . One of my older cousins bought one brand new in late 1969 . It was a showroom model at Atlantic Dodge in East Los Angeles . FC7 Plum Crazy . It even had black / gold Ca plates issued to it ; that's how early she bought and registered the car !

8.) Camaro . Easily my fave year for the 2nd gen (although , I equally favour the '71-'73 models , too). Make mine a Phase III Motion LS-7 monster , please .

I was born in September 16, 1958, and the 1959s were coming down the assembly line on that date. So I've actually collected '59s as my birth year cars. My favorite of either '58 or '59.... Full size Plymouth Belvedere. My cousin George had a green '59 Belvedere with a flathead six and pushbutton tranny when we were teens. So I have fond memories of that car, so that would be the one!

Being born near the end of 1963, I could say a split window Corvette but in reality the 1964 models were out so I could say Chevelle, or Corvette or pickup. There was a lot of great cars and trucks from those years, so any of them would be fine with me.

Well, if we're going to play the "but the new model year cars were already out when I was born" game, then since I was born in November 1956, then gives me 1957, which would open up a whole new world of possibilities... :D But I'll stick with the model year that matches the birth year.

G... the Continental was a runner-up for me, but that ultra-cheesy fake spare tire cost it too many points.

Being born in 1968 gives me a lot of great choices. Charger R/T ? Actually my favorite year Charger is a 71. Road Runner ? The original beep beep. Shelby Mustang ? Mr Norm's Dart GSS ? Corvette L-88 ? I think I'll go with the untamed beast of all of them. Super Stock Hurst Barracuda.

USNats2006019.jpg