Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 458 Italia in Rosso Dino

jaymcminn

I've had the Revell Ferrari 458 for a while and was trying to decide what to do with it. I gradually acquired the bits and pieces I'd need for the build- Fujimi 20" BBS wheels, the Hobby Design photoetch kit, etc. but I was stuck on the color- I just wanted to do something different from the usual Rosso Corsa or Fly Yellow. I eventually decided on a rare color called "Rosso Dino"- a very bright red-orange that has been available on Ferraris since the late '60's. I used Tamiya TS-31 Bright Orange to approximate this color- it's a little too yellow, but the result is pretty close. This project took a few turns along the way- the brown interior originally planned wound up black because it looked terrible against the orange- but the result is pretty wild. Here's the inspiration...

NDS194971_F4SBM_2.jpg

and here's the finished model!

P1020167.jpg

There are a few changes, of course- the BBS wheels, for one, and the carbon fiber sill covers which are optional equipment on the Italia. I might add a Cavallino to the rear panel at some point.

P1020170.jpg

Unlike most of my Ferrari builds, I didn't add Scuderia shields to the front quarter panels- I wanted to keep the look of this one simple and mean.

P1020176.jpg

Here's the engine compartment, with carbon-fiber paint detailing on the airbox as well as the photoetched plaques from Hobby Design.

Edited by jaymcminn

The trickiest part of the photoetched detail set was the multi-piece windshield wipers- it was a lot of work, and they don't photograph as well as I'd like, but they really add a lot to the look of the model.

P1020172.jpg

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the Revell kit. Is it perfect? No. Is it as good as, say, the Tamiya Ferrari 360 or Enzo? No. But it goes together great, looks the part when finished, and is cheap enough (especially with that 50% coupon at Michaels) so you can add some detail stuff to it and still have a great model that won't break the bank. The Hobby Design photoetch set for this kit is excellent too- it includes everything necessary to really take this build to the next level at an excellent price.

P1020180.jpg

If there's anything to look out for on this kit, it's that front wheel positioning- out of the box, it looks like it sits a little high up front. Since I had to modify the spindles to accommodate the aftermarket wheels, it was no big deal to fix the ride height issue, but it's something to keep an eye on. I also had a few warped parts (windshield, engine cover frame) but nothing that wasn't easily fixed. All in all, this was a fantastic experience!

P1020175.jpg

P1020166.jpg

Beautyful model and excelent job!

I think Revell is doing a great job with their newest models.

Mauricio, I couldn't agree more. I'm really not crazy about the way the wheels on the recent Revell of Germany releases build up (which was a major reason for the aftermarket wheels) but overall this kit was really nice. I just bought the 599 GTO, and am pretty impressed with that one as well.

beautiful ride, on a scale from 1 to 10 how well did ths car build for you?

Frank, I'd give this one an 8. It's not as crisply molded as the Tamiya kits, but the engineering is excellent and there were no unpleasant surprises at all in the assembly process. It was a very enjoyable build.

NIce touch on the wheels. Who makes them?

Mike, the wheels are BBS 20" wheels made by Fujimi. They're molded in chrome, which I stripped before painting them in Tamiya Light Gunmetal. The center caps are Model Factory Hiro pieces that replace the BBS decals that came with the wheels. I got my wheels from a Japanese Ebay seller, but you can get them through Hobby Link Japan as well.

• 1 month later...

Question for you on the Hobby Design P/E and you may think I'm crazy.... Where do part 1 and 2 go? The instruction sheet depicts [bottom center of page just above the rotor diagram] cutting out what looks like a vent in the C pillar (if there such a thing on a Ferrari 458). I'm stumped... Any other P/E tips you have for this set also would be nice. Thanks, Shannon