Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Moebius Ford Pick-ups 1971 Ranger XLT AND 1969 Custom SWB

SteveG

Dad had an 85 300 with 430,000 miles before the head gasket went south in 4 degree weather . That old truck hauled tons of wood and boats all over . Not just a truck driven like a car.

But with the new tool coming out I will be able to do a 67 like the first truck he had. Baby blue F100 with a big block.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

I , too , would love to see a stock 1980-1986 F-100 ! Y'know , one of those years with steel wheels / hubcaps , 2-wheel-drive , fleetside with a flareside option , etc. , etc.

And the option of an inline six (300 I-6) or a small V8 (Windsor ) ; Cruise-O-Matic or "creeper" 4 speed .

1985F150.jpg1985F1501.jpg

Tom,

Did you make those wheel covers yourself? I have a long standing project of a Camden, N.J. Fire Dept. Battalion Chief's Bronco that needs a set of those. I had bought the old Pinecrest wheels, but they lacked the correct profile. I was going to order a set of the Scale Squad's/Models by Tony wheels, but they went out of business just as I was about to place my order... Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Fantastic!

And by the time they're out, I might be working again, so I can buy one or two of each! I have a feeling that 300 will be showing up in a resin-casting.

Personally, I'd love to see a Dodge pickup of this vintage, or maybe an International, especially seeing Moebius already has the working relationship with them.

You guys really impress me.

Charlie Larkin

If the kits look anything at all like the tooling mockups, we're in for a real treat! With some switching around of trim, beds, and drivetrains, there's a number of trucks to be built. Add some beefed up rear spings, different rear axle and some 8-lug wheels, a 2wd F-250 would be an easy conversion on the longbed kit. Any chance of parts to do a Contactor, Farm & Ranch, Camper, or Trailer Special? Even so, those would be fairly easy to build on your own.

Fantastic!

And by the time they're out, I might be working again, so I can buy one or two of each! I have a feeling that 300 will be showing up in a resin-casting.

Personally, I'd love to see a Dodge pickup of this vintage, or maybe an International, especially seeing Moebius already has the working relationship with them.

You guys really impress me.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie,

I provided one of my 300's to Moebius to use as a model for the guys working the tooling. I plan on doing a FI conversion to allow a 5.8L build for trucks. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a copy of the kit engine when you can get the whole kit for about the same price.

Ken (Kitchen Table Resins) Kitchen

I see a few things that are wrong on these mockups.

1 the brow above the windshield is much too prominent. It should only extend past the windshield the thickness of the drip rail.

2 there's a separation line missing between the roof skin and B pillar that wraps around and goes above the rear window.

3 there's a horizontal separation line missing on the bedside that should be just above the "bumpout". This generation Ford truck's bedsides were three pieces: top, bottom and the cap on the end that encases the tail lights.

4 the rear fenderwell openings on the '69 are way off. Too small and shaped wrong. They look closer on the '71, but still a touch off.

5 the bedside behind the rear fenderwells extends down too far. It should be shorter than the bedside in front of the fenderwells

6 the trim on the '71 is way too wide.

0_Dad_s_Truck_006.jpg

7 the grille on the '69 is wrong. The vertical bars should be evenly spaced.

14t2c0n.jpg

8 the front bumper is too flat and square at the top. It should have a small bump out at the top.

9 the '69s side marker light is in the wrong position. It is not located in the bumpout. It should be a small rectangular light towards the bottom just in front of the vertical body line.

m74cg4.jpg

10The rear bumper?? Ugh! This is what it should look like.

14e556w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is a superb rendering of the F250 hubcap, hope the F100 cap is also being created for this F100 shorty

009-M.jpg

Interesting that both mockups show the dana rear end and not the regular 9 inch Ford diff. The dana was definitely available in the F100s but was fairly rare. They bring good money from the musclecar guys when these trucks are parted out

008-M.jpg

...and as far as rear bumpers go, I'm sure over 80% of these came with some form of step bumper vs the relative few that had the deluxe chrome rear bumper in the previous poster's picture. Also, the '68/'69 trucks did not have a bedside marker light; it was actually just a reflector mounted low on the rear.

mike

Edited by mk11

By the looks of it, there's an F-250 in hiding here. It has the proper hubcaps and rear axle for it. A nice set of the mag-style wheel covers would suit the F-100 nicely, along with a more proper 9 inch pumpkin.

mIocyEUBfA1JybtbN2Dk9QA.jpg

Tim, from the looks of the test shot , probably not hard at all.

Casey, I too would love to have a few sets of the "Mag style " covers in scale . I run a set of the same wheel covers on my 1978 F-100 stepside .

In the '70 dealer brochure there's a set of the diecast mag style hubcaps shown, similar to the shelby mustang or Z16 chevelle cars. I bought a couple of sets from missing link a while ago and may just use them yet...

70brochure_p14_zpseba7ecac.jpg

mike

Edited by mk11

I'd better start saving NOW!!! I am going to try for a case of each!!! If not, then a half-case of each. Depends on how much I save... I'm glad to see the mockups, thank you Dave for sharing these with us. this is one of the MANY things I love about Moebuis Models! As I have stated before, these are my all-time favorite vehicle, Car, Truck, Chevy, Ford... regardless, my favorite. There have been over a dozen owned by various family members of my family through the years....

• 4 weeks later...