Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID Quiz #16 AMENDED!

Remember... I need year, make and model for a "correct" answer. PM your answer to me.

The answer: 1957 Packard Clipper

autoid16.jpg

Who got it right:

Badluck 13

ChillyB1

bad0210

danno

Art Anderson

MikeMc

mr moto

draggin

sjordan2

mr chips

Modelmartin

Nitro Neil

Frank

Jon Cole

trogdor

vw1953

dimaxion

Johnny

Ryan S.

I'll have to make it harder next time! ;)

My great aunt in Evansville Indiana had one in two tone green sitting in her back yard! It was parked back there the day her husband died. Was only 3 years old and had less than 20,000 miles on it. She would not let it go for anything! She had no children and she didn't drive.

It had been there over 30 years when some guy bought it from her for 500 bucks! The plus side it was parked on a brick slab that once was a garage floor.

The only reason she sold it was she had sold the house and was moving in with her sister (my great grandma) and didn't want to move it to IL.

You really have to reach if you want to find post WW2 American cars that few enthusiasts can identify. You almost need to use prototypes or show cars. You even had a number of people who knew the Powell you used several months ago. Foreign cars and pre WW2 oddball makes offer the most fun and frustration for car ID enthusiasts. :lol:

I agree, although I think it's borderline worthless to get too obscure with coachbuilt bodied cars. There are a lot of prewar cars that "you would only know if you happened to know" because every last one of them looks completely different. I would request Harry stop short of "cars" that really were all sold as finish-it-yourself rolling chassis. To me, those kinds of things make it less fun.

My sort of self-imposed rule is that the car I feature is not a concept, one-off or custom... it had to be manufactured in quantity (not necessarily mass quantities) and have been available for sale to the general public.

One-offs, concept cars, etc would be way too hard.

This one was a little too easy, but I did think I'd fool at least some of you into thinking that it was one of those Russian knock-offs from the 50s. :lol: