Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Chevelle 300 Deluxe

Greg Pugh

Ok. So here's the deal. I've got 6 models that are in various stages of completion (or un-completion). I've made a promise to myself that I will finish these 6 kits before opening and starting a new one. I know to some of you, this sounds quite strange as many of you have alot more started-and-not-finished kits like this than I do but I want to push myself to get these finished up. I don't like having more than a few going at a time as it not only gets confusing for me but also a bit counterproductive. Some of you have probably seen my '40 Ford Pickup that I'm working on. It only made sense to work on this one at the same time and I'll explain why later.

A good buddy of mine has a 1:1 '69 Chevelle 300 2 door post car that he's had since high school. He's a hard working, blue collar guy with a young family and (you can fill in the blanks here) doesn't exactly have the money to put his car together the way he wants to so it sits under his carport with a cover over it....waiting for that "someday". I went over to his house one day and through some bs'ing, he learns that I build model cars and he goes on to tell me that he has a model kit he bought to try to build a replica of the image he's got in his head for what he wants his car to look like someday. Problem is, he doesn't know how to build models. I had no choice but to offer to build it for him. Next problem is, he's got a 300 model 2 door sedan and the only model kit out there that's close is a Super Sport 396 2 door hardtop (that's a horrible kit to begin with). Nevermind that. B) We pulled back the car cover and I took several reference pictures, grabbed his unstarted kit along with his wants/choices/desires for what he wanted his car to look like and I was on my way. A couple of years have passed and this is still an on-and-off again project and I need to get this finished up for him.

Now I can explain what this has to do with my '40 Ford Pickup.....as luck would have it, he wants it painted Yellow which is the same color I always had in mind for my '40. So, I was able to order enough paint to paint both models and I will be painting them at the same time. Watch as I try to convert this SS 396 Chevelle into a 300 model 2 door sedan and try to give my buddy some inspiration on a shelf.

01-vi.jpg

02-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

I was able to get the interior finished up for him last time before I lost my drive again so here's what it looks like. The closest bench seat I could find was from an AMT '70 Impala kit. The pattern on the seat is a little different from the back seat but this car will never see a competition so I figured this was close enough. It's got the right headrests so it'll work! Oh-and he'll be using a small block and a 4 speed in his car. I was even able to find the same steering wheel!

03-vi.jpg

04-vi.jpg

05-vi.jpg

I've been going back and forth on what to do about the hood. Someone on here showed me how to convert it and he made it look pretty easy but I think I might have a line on a resin one which will be a lot easier! :)

He's a good buddy of mine who does everything for everyone else. He will love this thing! (If it turns out! ;) )

Now THIS is the kinda stuff that's really cool, to me. I LIKE the oddball,off the wall cars that you could order back in the day. A 427 Biscayne, or a OHC 6 Pontiac Le Mans Sprint. Your 300 is looking good, and I'm SURE your freind will like it! After all, he'll be the only kid on the block with one!!!:):D:lol:;)

Now THIS is the kinda stuff that's really cool, to me. I LIKE the oddball,off the wall cars that you could order back in the day. A 427 Biscayne, or a OHC 6 Pontiac Le Mans Sprint. Your 300 is looking good, and I'm SURE your freind will like it! After all, he'll be the only kid on the block with one!!!:lol::D:);)

I totally agree, this is one of those projects that just needs to be watched... Great work on the post's Greg... B):D

A great project! I am going to keep a close eye on your progress as I would like to do a model of my old 68 Chevelle 300 post coupe. I owned it from 1979-1992, should never have sold it. Here is a picture of it as it looked back in the early 1980's, whitewalls, 65 Impala SS wheelcovers and dual exhaust system..

post-7535-0-99909100-1297739821_thumb.jp

...And we have some rolling stock. Remember, this buddy of mine was pretty specific on what he wanted his car to look like when it was done, including the wheels. He said that he wanted the old Centerline solids and these seem to fit the bill. A short trip through the ol' parts box and I came up with these. They were in pretty sad shape so I sent them out to Chrometech USA and had them rechromed. Now they're ready to go!

09-vi.jpg

What's a good way to tone these down? I was thinking that they should look more like a polished aluminum, not chrome. Any ideas?

Glaze them with a Q-tip dipped in "The Detailer" Black. After each coat, hold them up to a light to see if they are starting to tone down their glare, if not then glaze them again. The Detailer is a water-soluable solution, so if you get too much on the wheel just soak it in water and the black will wash off.

You can also use a brush dipped in Detailer, but I find the Q-tip more readily accessable since the tip conforms to tight areas when you apply it on a part.

So I got a new problem. Lol.

I just spent money having these things rechromed and I just found out from him that he was wanting a more brushed aluminum looking wheel. Not a chrome look or a polished aluminum look. What's the best way to duplicate the look of a clear-coated machined or brushed aluminum wheel?

Edited by gpugh1976

Looking great so far Greg. It's cool seeing cars replicated in scale that weren't actually available in kit form. You are definitely a brave soul to use that kit as well and try to turn it into something presentable.Your work looks awesome so far. Can't wait to see more progress!!! :)

Looking great so far Greg. It's cool seeing cars replicated in scale that weren't actually available in kit form. You are definitely a brave soul to use that kit as well and try to turn it into something presentable.Your work looks awesome so far. Can't wait to see more progress!!! ;)

Thanks Brian. It's been a learning experience for sure. I've never taken on a conversion like this so hopefully it turns out. :lol:

Edited by gpugh1976