Model Cars Magazine Forum

ROCKET VAN! Deals Wheels Flying VW Van. WIP 11-30-12

Ira

PULLIN' IN THE WHEELS!!!

I cut off the Front Wheel Wells and removed about 1/8" from each side.

DSCN8158D.jpg

Then I glued the Wheels Wells back in place. This will give me enough room to fit the Front Wheels inside the body.

DSCN8159D.jpg

I also cut off the Rear Wheel Wells and removed an 1/8" slice from each side.

DSCN8161D.jpg

I also raised the engine so it wont drag on the ground with the New Small Rear Tires. Here is the Chassis glued back together...

DSCN8164D.jpg

B)

MAKE IT SMALL...

I cut off the front of the Rear Wheel Well to fit the Small Tires. Then I glued a piece of sheet plastic on the end to close it up.

DSCN8171D.jpg

I cut what was left of the chassis beteeen the wheel wells and filled in with sheet plastic.

DSCN8169D.jpg

Then I glued a strip of sheet plastic accross the rear wheel wells to close it off...

DSCN8177D.jpg

B)

CHASSIS MOCK-UP...

The Chassis got a little crooked with all of that cutting & glueing. I added a small brace between the rear wheel wells that keeps things pretty straight...

DSCN8200D.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the position of the chassis in the body.

DSCN8193D.jpg

DSCN8190D.jpg

B)

LITTLE WELLS...

I made a Template from the front Wheel Well and traced the shape on the rear.

DSCN8223R.jpg

Then I did a rough cut with a cutting wheel...

DSCN8291R.jpg

I trimmed the Wheel Wells out pretty good with an X-acto Knife. Next I wrapped some Sandpaper around a bottle and Sanded the Wells Nice & Smooth!

DSCN8295R.jpg

B)

BiG SCOOPS!!!

I needed some Intakes for the Rocket Engines. I found an old Custom Corvette Hood with the Perfect Scoops in the parts box!

I cut them out and fit them to the sides of the Rocket Van!

DSCN8298R.jpg

Here they are after some putty and sanding...

DSCN8323R.jpg

B)

Edited by Ira

Rockets don't breathe air. They don't need intakes. Cool project, though. I always follow your threads.

Yes, but you are talking about conventional rockets. These are Ira's SOOPERHITEKCARBONGRAPHITEAMMONIUMPOLYMERGOFAST rockets. I can assure you, they need intakes! :D

Now for my good friend on the opposite coast. have you gone full circle in that you undealing a DW? I thought the idea was to put bigger wheels on a scale car, not smaller wheels on a DW. :huh::D I'm curious to see where you are taking this. I know it will be crazy!

Carry on buddy.

FERRARI ROCKET HYBRID!!!

I have been playing with Car Engine and Rocket Parts to see what kind of an Engine I could come up with. I found that there are endless combinations of CarToon Hybrid Engines. Here is one...

DSCN8289R.jpg

I ended up using parts from a Ferrari Testarossa and an X-Wing Fighter. Here is one of the first Mock-Ups of the final design!

DSCN8302R.jpg

Remember this is CarToon Rocket Science, so anything is possible... B)

Edited by Ira

FERRARI ROCKET ENGINE!!!

I started with the Ferrari Engine and began adding Rocket Parts. I added strips of plastic on the BiG Rocket Engines so I could Stack other Rocket Parts on top!

DSCN8327R.jpg

I used the Metalic Red Paint to blend the 2 Engines together...

DSCN8339R.jpg

Here is the Engine with Reversed Ferrari Parts and more CarToon Rocket Parts in place. I used The Detailer, on most of the silver Rocket Parts...

DSCN8351R.jpg

B)