Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need some help on a Kenworth

I recently ran across some sealed Kenworth Areodyne COE kits and was wanting to know what a fair price would be for this kit. I never had the opportunity to buy one of these before and searching eBay there were none available to use as a reference. I know that they are rare but I don't think they are super rare. I know that different people have different opinions and budgets but, I am looking for a real world price on this kit. What would you think a reasonable price would be for this kit?

I would also appreciate any info on this kit that you may have. What year model does this kit represent? Was the long wheelbase a factory option? What were these long wheelbase trucks designed for?

Seems like to me this boxart was around 2001 -2002.

Fair price ? It is a buyers market, I have bought several KW coe Aerodynes lately from $53 - $72.00 unbuilt sealed in bags with different boxart off ebay with a 9 - 12 dollar shipping price.There are others for sale with shipping from 15 - 45 dollars and I move on. There is always hope for better deals out there .

The ones that have real obscene prices are the BJ McKay trucks. The long wheelbase is from Tyrone Malones Papa truck molding.

The long wheelbase is because that same kit was used in the tyrone Malone trucks,they were race truck haulers with the deck on the back It is easy to shorten it up when you are building it.,AMT was good at using the same kit in many variations at any time.Back in the day when these trucks were new,i don't think you could have used them that long,as a lot of states had length laws as to how long the truck and trailer could be,today it is different and you see a lot of long rigs. 50-70 dollars sounds about right for these kits,Myself I am hoping this is one that will be reissued?,so I wouldn't buy too many at a inflated price. Harvey

A rough guess would be around the mid 70s to maybe even as late as the early 80s for the model years.

As others already said, the longer frame came thanks to the Papa Truck and Hideout Truck transporters for the Super Boss and Bandag Bandit race trucks. I happen to like long frame cabovers, they make a nice custom truck. :D

HPIM3854.jpg

HPIM3720.jpg

HPIM3734.jpg

Thanks guys for all of your help. I really enjoy this forum. I got some great ideas for a project (cool pic's, that livestock rig is sweet) and learned a few things that I didn't know a couple of days ago. I know where I can go for help when the kit gets to the workbench.

Edited by Evilbenny

Like Jim said, the Aerodyne cab came out in 1976. I believe it was 1985 when the K100 was redesigned with square headlights and some other changes. This model would have to be somewhere between a 76-84 model.

Did the square headlights come on the cabover at the same time the W900 got them?? If so, it would be a little earlier than 84 as a last model year. My brother drove an 84 W900 and it had the square headlights already.