Model Cars Magazine Forum

First attempts!!

Barticus4

Ben,

Beautiful job on rusting that truck. Very realistic and nicely done in 1/18th. Ummm, as for the other two, I believe they were fiberglass bodies and would not have been found rusty but probably broken or cracked with little fibers sticking out of the cracks. The dust is very realistic for the cars sitting in the corner of a yard for a long time. Nice work!

...as for the other two, I believe they were fiberglass bodies and would not have been found rusty...

Oh, Mike, you forgot that the Jag is British and if it is British, it WILL rust (no matter what it is made of!) :lol:

Nice work Ben. What did you use for leaves/trash sitting at the bottom of the windshield?

John

Thanks for the comments guys, Yes the Jag's are all metal and rust well I should no this has my farther restored one from one found in similar condition to mine looks!! as For the corvette im not sure? as Im from england so dont see many over here? But it is a model from the late 50's so i presumed they were metal bodies? not sure maybe some on here can tell me?

As for the trash etc at the bottom of the window i used some stuff for making grass mud etc for model railway layouts gives a good effect.. and leaves are actualy real one's dried out.

Ben,

Your weathering looks great! I am not sure about the vette either, although, most were fiberglass. Your gravel looks a bit big, have you considered cat litter? It works for 1/24-25, but not sure how it would look with 1/18. The gravel you're using looks more like small boulders or riprap. Overall, it's a nice setup, nice details.

Edited by mountaindewd

After a long (tho not nearly long enough LOL) mis-spent youth hanging around just such locations I really am impressed with your work. But, as much as I'm pained to say it, a Corvette body won't rust because it is indeed fibreglas. Having said that though, and being a stanch FOMOCO advocate, everything, and I DO mean EVERYTHING, else on there WILL!! LOL

Just a hint on the gravel, try sifting some HO and N gauge railroad ballast (comes is a lot of different colors) over the "ground" after removing some of the larger stones. It could make the ones you have left look like big rocks exposed by erosion and you won't have to redo the whole thing. Here's what the ballast looks like with a 1/18 Vette. Hope this helps. Looking forward to seeing more pics.

53a37.jpg

Thank for the comments guy's, After researching myself the Corvette is fibreglass! oh well never mind I still like it. I picked these models up from junk sales for pratically nothing so it doesnt really bother me to much I have learnt alot from doing these three and really looking forward to doing some more.

As for the gravel it is infact cat litter and I agree looking back at the pictures it does look a little on the large size but have found another manufacturer that is much finer so am going to give that ago.

The Diorama in the pic's was only a mock up for the photo's as when I took photo's of them on there own it felt like something was missing so I just used an old piece of wood and two pieces of cardboard sprayed silver for fences and then poured some cat litter on. Im currently starting to build on a much larger scale a scrapyard sceen which im going to have alot more detail and cars on.

Yet again thanks for the coments its been a big help and will post more pics as the scrap yard evoles cant wait to go looking around the junkyard sales tomorrow need some more cars!!