Model Cars Magazine Forum

How could I detail a battery?

When adding cables, do some research on the 1:1 on how they are routed, especially on where they connect. Generally, the Positive cable will go from the battery terminal to the starter solenoid (GM and most late models)or to the starter relay ('60-'80s Fords as well as '60s MoPars). The Negative will usually connect to the engine block, though sometimes they will attach to the accessory mounting brackets. Again, this will vary.

Also, you'll want to verify what BCI group battery a given vehicle takes, as the post configurations will vary by group size.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially if you're building pre-'56 vehicles with 6 volt batteries, many of them were also positive ground. They were hooked up reverse of what a modern 12 volt negative ground system is. Fords through '55 6 volt and the '56 Fords with 12 volt were this way, as were GMC 6 volt trucks through '57.

One more thing, don't assume that the Positive cable should be red and the Negative should be black. Most oem cables were black on both, and on many older vehicles, they used a braided strap for the ground instead of a cable. Even on late models, only the cover for the terminal end itself is color coded.

Edited by Longbox55

Well, I have used Detail Master's Battery Hardware set, that's great. I usually build the bracket from scratch, or then I use one from that hardware set. There's only one type of bracket on the set, so sometimes it needs to be scratchbuilt. Then of course painting the details, and photo etch cable clamps. It works fine, here is a picture of '70 Super Bee's battery which is detailed with that hardware set, and some scratchbuilt parts.

P8142376.jpg